Please Help Me Figure Out How Much Of This Recipe I Need...

Decorating By grossoutqueen Updated 11 Oct 2008 , 8:55pm by grossoutqueen

grossoutqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grossoutqueen Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 4:07pm
post #1 of 8

The below posted recipe is what I am going to use for my first wedding cake I am making this week. I don't know if it is because of my lax math skills or what, but I just can't figure out if I can use one recipe or if I need to double it up... Any help would be great. At the very bottom if gives you an idea of what size cakes it will make..... I NEED 2 6X2'S AND 2 10X2'S.

White Almond Sour Cream Cake

Serves/Yields:
Prep. Time:
Cook Time:
Category: White Cakes
Difficulty: Easy

There has been many requests for this recipe so I thought I would post it for easy reference for everyone, it was orignially created by Rebecca Sutterby. This is the best white cake!! You have to try it!!! This recipe can easily be halved.

2 boxes white cake mix
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups granulated sugar
1 1/2 teas. salt
8 egg whites
2 2/3 cups water
4 Tbls. vegetable oil
2 cups (16oz carton) sour cream
2 teaspoon clear vanilla flavor
2 teaspoons almond extract

Mix all dry ingredients by hand using a whisk in a very large mixing bowl. Add the rest of the ingredients and beat on low speed for 2 minutes. Bake at 325 degrees

***One recipe makes: one 14" round + one 6" round
or one 16" round
or one 12" round + one 10" round
or one 12x18" sheet cake
or one 12" round + one 8" round + one 6"

Half a recipe makes: two 8" rounds
or two 6" rounds + 6 cupcakes

[/b]

7 replies
Sweet_Guys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 4:14pm
post #2 of 8

Using the guide they gave you, I would suggest using 1 1/2 recipes. You'll get your 2 10s (they said 1 10 & 1 12) plus a little bit more for the full recipe. Make cupcakes. For the 1/2 recipe, you'll get your 2 6s and some more cupcakes.

As far as the calculations, that would be:

3 boxes white cake mix
3 c flour
3 c sugar
2 1/2 tsp salt
12 egg whites
4 c water
6 tbsp vegetable oil
3 c (24 oz) sour cream
3 tsp clear vanilla extract
3 tsp almond extract

HTH

Paul & Peter

grossoutqueen Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 4:31pm
post #3 of 8

Thank you so much!!!

I am so math impaired it's scary! You have helped a ton!

One more question though...

I have heard that once you mix your batter, you have to bake it right away...you can't leave it sitting even in the refrigerator. Is this true and also, if it is, how in the world to I work that out.

If you can't tell this is my first wedding cake and I haven't had to make anything with this many pans involved...

Sweet_Guys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 7:09pm
post #4 of 8

I read some other posts in here earlier today. You can fill your pans and leave the ones that won't fit in the oven right on your counter.

Another person left the batter in the bowl, baked some cakes, washed them when she turned out the cake, and refilled and baked again.

Try that!

Paul & Peter

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 7:19pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by grossoutqueen

The below posted recipe is what I am going to use for my first wedding cake I am making this week. I don't know if it is because of my lax math skills or what, but I just can't figure out if I can use one recipe or if I need to double it up... Any help would be great. At the very bottom if gives you an idea of what size cakes it will make..... I NEED 2 6X2'S AND 2 10X2'S.

White Almond Sour Cream Cake

Serves/Yields:
Prep. Time:
Cook Time:
Category: White Cakes
Difficulty: Easy

There has been many requests for this recipe so I thought I would post it for easy reference for everyone, it was orignially created by Rebecca Sutterby. This is the best white cake!! You have to try it!!! This recipe can easily be halved.

2 boxes white cake mix
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups granulated sugar
1 1/2 teas. salt
8 egg whites
2 2/3 cups water
4 Tbls. vegetable oil
2 cups (16oz carton) sour cream
2 teaspoon clear vanilla flavor
2 teaspoons almond extract

Mix all dry ingredients by hand using a whisk in a very large mixing bowl. Add the rest of the ingredients and beat on low speed for 2 minutes. Bake at 325 degrees

***One recipe makes: one 14" round + one 6" round
or one 16" round
or one 12" round + one 10" round
or one 12x18" sheet cake
or one 12" round + one 8" round + one 6"

Half a recipe makes: two 8" rounds
or two 6" rounds + 6 cupcakes

[/b]

How deep are the pans listed above? It will make a difference if they are 2" or 3" pans.

My suggestion would be to make your batter and measure out to suit the pans you are using. This way you are not playing a guessing game.

grossoutqueen Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 7:30pm
post #6 of 8

Once again, your a lifesaver!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 7:57pm
post #7 of 8

Queenie, after you finish this cake, an idea for you is to find the Wilton chart of servings and it will give you the cups of batter needed for various sized pans.

You will have to do some simple math but the chart gives the amount of batter needed for one layer. The wasc recipe yields me 16 cups of batter--using the two boxes of cake mix.

http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-wedding-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm

^^^ link for 2" deep pans

So add up how many cups of batter you will need for your cake pans remembering that each amount listed in the chart is the yield for one layer then just see how many recipes of wasc you will need. For example a half the wasc recipe using one cake mix of course yields 8 cups of cake batter by my calculations.

So according to the chart you need 6 cups and 6 cups for the two 10-inch cakes and 2 cups plus 2 cups for the two 6 inch cakes.

6+6+2+2=16 cups = one recipe using two boxes

icon_biggrin.gif

grossoutqueen Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 8:55pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks! That is a great idea... I love how with cakes, you learn something new with every one you make! Your help is much appreciated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

Queenie, after you finish this cake, an idea for you is to find the Wilton chart of servings and it will give you the cups of batter needed for various sized pans.

You will have to do some simple math but the chart gives the amount of batter needed for one layer. The wasc recipe yields me 16 cups of batter--using the two boxes of cake mix.

http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-wedding-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm

^^^ link for 2" deep pans

So add up how many cups of batter you will need for your cake pans remembering that each amount listed in the chart is the yield for one layer then just see how many recipes of wasc you will need. For example a half the wasc recipe using one cake mix of course yields 8 cups of cake batter by my calculations.

So according to the chart you need 6 cups and 6 cups for the two 10-inch cakes and 2 cups plus 2 cups for the two 6 inch cakes.

6+6+2+2=16 cups = one recipe using two boxes

icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%