Help Me W/halloween Cake Idea.. Please...

Decorating By Jopalis Updated 12 Oct 2008 , 8:48pm by Jopalis

Jopalis Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 6:29am
post #1 of 11

Hi... I want to make a simple pumpkin cake roll for a small dinner party I am having around Halloween. I was trying to think of how I could dress the cake up rather than just dust with xxx sugar. I had this idea to make the cake look like a tree trunk. Not sure what to ice it with... IMBC, BC or stabilized whipped cream. Hubby doesn't like BC and some don't like IMBC ...too buttery. I did want to maybe make it look like bark like a bouche de noel. Then I thought maybe I could make some cupcakes to arrange at one end and decorate them like fall leaves. I will have to build up the cupcakes somehow because the cake roll will be thick.... What do you think? I'm not sure it would look right.... Would it be better to use fondant/gumpaste marbled leaves w/leaf cutter? Just trying to figure out how to make a dessert my DH loves, not make it too sweet w/icing and make it cute for Fall... OK... ideas welcome! Pretty Please....

10 replies
sayhellojana Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 7:16am
post #2 of 11

I think the tree would be really pretty. Now, keeping in mind that I'm not a very good decorator, but I do know my way around baking, I see a pumpkin roll as more of an element dish. Meaning, I wouldn't use frosting on it. Maybe you could garnish it with coordinating flavors, ruch as rasins or walnuts and then a few fondant leaves, more of a natural look, you know? Make it look really tasty and delicious.
This is just my opinion, what I would do. HTH

kelleym Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 6:57pm
post #3 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhellojana

I think the tree would be really pretty. Now, keeping in mind that I'm not a very good decorator, but I do know my way around baking, I see a pumpkin roll as more of an element dish. Meaning, I wouldn't use frosting on it. Maybe you could garnish it with coordinating flavors, ruch as rasins or walnuts and then a few fondant leaves, more of a natural look, you know? Make it look really tasty and delicious.
This is just my opinion, what I would do. HTH

I like this idea! You could maybe add some fresh whipped cream and a caramel drizzle on top.

Now I'm making myself drool.

thecakebox Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 8:29pm
post #4 of 11

I have done it with ganache before, it works great for doing the wood grain effect and its just chocolate so its awesome with pumpkin, hth.

Jopalis Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 5:41am
post #5 of 11

thank you for your ideas.... I appreciate the feedback. Food for thought...

Swede-cakes Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 2:29pm
post #6 of 11

For the pumpkin roll I offer for Fall, I use cream cheese whipped with just enough warm BC (warm from the microwave on low setting). It tastes like cream cheese with a little sweetness, and it's just runny/soft enough to layer over the top and spoon it towards the sides (not liquid like glaze, though). An accent on top of freshly candied walnuts along the length, a sprinkle of dried cranberries and a trio of molded chocolate leaves in the center is all I do.

I love the Fall for cake flavors such as these!!!

Sweet_Guys Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 3:06pm
post #7 of 11

If you wanted to experiment with gumpaste, you could make some spiders (for Halloween) and have them crawl on the log. Mixing gumpaste colors such as orange, yellow, red, and brown could give you some nice fall variations. Then you could have your spiders running through the leaves, as well.

Paul & Peter

Jopalis Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 4:31pm
post #8 of 11

I LOVE those ideas.... So..skichic, I can mix up the icing for the filling then just add some bc and sort of drizzle it over? I could tint the bc a little to maybe give it a brown/tan look. Like the candied walnuts and cranberries.... idea too. It was also mentioned on here. Do you have any pictures? I love the spider idea too, SweetGuys. Thanks to all of you!!! Love hearing all the ideas!!

Swede-cakes Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 7:59pm
post #9 of 11

Yes, that sounds like it would work just fine. Would love to see it when it's done...will you post it please? icon_smile.gif

KHalstead Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 8:16pm
post #10 of 11

I think it would be cool to use the cream cheese frosting and pipe a spiderweb onto the pumpkin roll and add some raisin spiders or even black m&m's or something.

Jopalis Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 8:48pm
post #11 of 11

ooh... like the web idea too........ Thanks so much! I'll post ...If... it looks nice... LOL!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%