Ribbons Around Cakes

Decorating By Sandylee05 Updated 13 Oct 2008 , 1:51am by KoryAK

Sandylee05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sandylee05 Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 5:55am
post #1 of 21

Everytime I put a ribbon around a cake, it soaks up a lot of butter, and alters the color of the ribbon. Should I put wax paper around the cake before I put on the ribbon? Or maybe I should put scotch tape behind the ribbon? Anyone have this problem?

Thank you!!
Sandy

20 replies
sharon57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sharon57 Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 11:46am
post #2 of 21

I did a wedding cake with ribbon around it, and after reading all the advice I could find on cc, I sprayed the ribbon with cooking spray, wiped off the excess before applying it to the cake. It did make the ribbon darker but it worked great.

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 12:13pm
post #3 of 21

hadn't seen the tip on cooking spray.... good idea

CelebrationCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CelebrationCakery Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 12:16pm
post #4 of 21

Another thing some people do is iron the ribbon. Take the ribbon, put wax paper over it and then a towel on top of that. Iron over the towel and continue down the length of your ribbon making sure you are using a new area on the wax paper as you go. This will seal the ribbon with the wax from the paper. I have yet to try it because by the time I get to the ribbons I am in a rush to just be done....

mommak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommak Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 12:36pm
post #5 of 21

I usually use contact paper, works perfect! Stick your ribbon to the sticky side of the contact paper, adhere the end with bc works great.

ranbel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ranbel Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 12:40pm
post #6 of 21

Clear contact paper works great. Just trim of the excess paper and you are set to go. The contact paper can be found in the kitchen section at wal-mart....

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 12:42pm
post #7 of 21

I use packing tape...not only does it protect the ribbon, but it also stiffens it up a little and makes it easier to apply. Probably same principle as contact paper!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 12:43pm
post #8 of 21

Why not ust use edible ribbon? thumbs_up.gif

loriemoms Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 1:12pm
post #9 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

Why not ust use edible ribbon? thumbs_up.gif

I wish I could! But the brides want satin..the sashes in color around the brides made dresses (and some brides!) have gotten real popular here and they want to match that color on the cake...

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 1:27pm
post #10 of 21

I'm a pammer.

and you can match fondant to the color and paint with pearl dust to make it satin-y... but it will never be exactly the same.

loriemoms Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 2:08am
post #11 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoryAK

I'm a pammer.

and you can match fondant to the color and paint with to make it satin-y... but it will never be exactly the same.

That is true..and you can make roses from gum paste. But the brides just don't want this, at least not in my area. (and they don't want to pay for it!) I agree, if I could do every single cake what I want, I would use Fondant...but the question wasn't alternatives to using ribbon, it was how to apply ribbon.

Why does every single friggin post on here lately turn into a debate???

KoryAK Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 3:28am
post #12 of 21

Hey, I wasn't debating, actually just publicly straddling the fence icon_smile.gif
I also gave a suggestion about the real ribbon as the OP requested.

wait a sec... where the hell did the rest of my post go? You can see the whole thing in the quote above but not in my post above that... what I was SAYING was that fondant ribbon of any sort will never be the same exact look of satin ribbon THEREFORE sometimes that's what the bride wants so that's what you give her. I highly doubt any "moderator" could have found that offensive but apparently they did so THANKS for editing my totally benign post without any note about it. Geez.

Lorimoms, you are right, this place is getting ... let's just call it weird... lately.

loriemoms Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 11:01am
post #13 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoryAK

Hey, I wasn't debating, actually just publicly straddling the fence icon_smile.gif
I also gave a suggestion about the real ribbon as the OP requested.

wait a sec... where the hell did the rest of my post go? You can see the whole thing in the quote above but not in my post above that... what I was SAYING was that fondant ribbon of any sort will never be the same exact look of satin ribbon THEREFORE sometimes that's what the bride wants so that's what you give her. I highly doubt any "moderator" could have found that offensive but apparently they did so THANKS for editing my totally benign post without any note about it. Geez.

Lorimoms, you are right, this place is getting ... let's just call it weird... lately.

That is REALLY wierd...I didnt edit your quote at all...I don't even know where the rest of that quote came from (did you orginally type that and then delete it?) Did a moderator edit it?? Very strange.

loriemoms Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 11:03am
post #14 of 21

Hey Kory, I clicked on quote again on your previous message and it was wrong again!!! Give it a try...its very strange!

KoryAK Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 10:21pm
post #15 of 21

Yes, I originally typed all that and never went back to alter it. Its either a PC snafu or a moderator edit. either way, very strange.

loriemoms Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 11:18pm
post #16 of 21

it COMPLETLY changes the post!!! I wonder if a moderator changed it or does pearl dust replace the word paint or something?

jenlg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenlg Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 11:34pm
post #17 of 21

Everything is screwed up on CC. There's a thread around here that's missing an entire page. That was weird getting into!

KoryAK Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 11:59pm
post #18 of 21

test pearl dust test test

KoryAK Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 12:00am
post #19 of 21

and there you have it. it erased everything i typed after p e a r l dust.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 12:21am
post #20 of 21

Kory, if you hit the "quote" button on your "test" post, what I see between the quotes is "test test test". icon_eek.gif

KoryAK Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 1:51am
post #21 of 21

Nice, so it erases for the public everything after PD and only quotes what it erased. so bizarre. I posted to technical support.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%