Entenmann's Cupcakes And Frosting

Baking By cutthecake Updated 12 Nov 2011 , 4:57am by Laxie

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 12:34am
post #1 of 32

When I was pregnant with my second child in 1986, I followed an Entenmann's delivery truck at 6AM because I had a craving for their Hallween cupcakes. (Entenmann's is a east coast baking company that supplies boxed baked goods to supermarkets.) The cupcakes are yellow cake with fudge frosting, with a ring of orange buttercream, and candy corn sprinkled on top.The fudge frosting on those cupcakes is thick and rich and gooey, and I love it. For many years, I've been trying to find a recipe for a fudge frosting that resembles Enenmann's, with no luck. I have tried numerous so-called "fudge" frosting recipes, but they don't even come close. Does anyone have an "Entenmann's" fudge frosting recipe?

31 replies
PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 3:01am
post #2 of 32

ohhh that sounds good about now... even after culinary school, and being a scratch baker, I can NEVER turn down a piece of entenmann's marshmallow iced devil's food cake!

cutthecake Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 1:16pm
post #3 of 32

You're a Jersey girl! You KNOW Entenmann's!!!! Their cream-filled chocolate chip cake is another favorite of mine. I grew up in a house with a scratch-baker Mom, so store-bought cakes and cookies were a treat! How pathetic is that? But I'm still looking for that fudge frosting recipe.

terrig007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrig007 Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 1:34pm
post #4 of 32

I love Entenmann's too and I grew up in IN and it was a big deal when I was 10 they came out our way.
Remember the Seinfeld episode where Elaine switched the cake that Peterman had won at auction that was supposed to be the Duke & Duchess of Windsor? The guy who was the "cake expert" said it was an Entenmann's.

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 1:57pm
post #5 of 32

I did'nt know Entenmanns made anything other than coffee cake!!! I've been deprived!
We have it here in tx and but I've only ever seen their coffee cakes and struedals.

I have'nt tasted their frosting but Martha Stewart has a fudge frosting thats really good, its basically whipped ganache but it tastes just like homemade fudge. I'll try to find it , my books are packed away but its worth digging around for.

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 2:21pm
post #6 of 32

Oh I love Entenmanns, Love the doughnuts and the coffee cakes!

Gingoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingoodies Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 8:52pm
post #7 of 32

Entenmann's chocolate fudge cupcake frosting ROCKS!.. if anyone finds a recipe that comes close, you must share. Cutthecake I have one of those filled chocolate chip crumb cakes sitting in my kitchen right now. LOL

rezzygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rezzygirl Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 11:17pm
post #8 of 32

OMG!! When I was preggo with my first I had to have Entenmann's chocolate chip cookies on a daily basis!! And back then they had the 3" original recipe ones (not the tiny ones that I'm addicted to now LOL). YUMMMMM..... Oh... no recipe sorry... icon_sad.gif

chasebrad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chasebrad Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 11:52pm
post #9 of 32

http://www.recipezaar.com/36863

check out this link at the recipe zaar......might be a match?!

cutthecake Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 4:25am
post #10 of 32

Fellow Entenmann's Lovers!!! So happy to meet you all! I didn't realize their products were sold as far west as Texas! I'm sorry you Texans only get the coffee cake!
Chasebrad, thanks for the recipe. I hope to give it a try soon.
Gingodies, I WISH I had one of those cakes now.
I just got home from a wedding that served an inadequate wedding cake. It was lovely to look at, but had my least favorite flavor.....rum. I was so disappointed. To me, rum flavoring ruins the cake. So now I really wish I had an Entenmann's box in my kitchen!

cutthecake Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 8:48pm
post #11 of 32

Update: I'm on my second box of Halloween cupcakes. I am pitiful. These cupcakes are only sold in October, so I must eat them when I can! Most of Entenmann's other holiday cupcakes are not as good.

cutthecake Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 1:43pm
post #12 of 32

Does anyone remember the Entenmann's cupcakes that were like the Hostess Squiggle Cupcakes (but without the squiggle)? They were chocolate cake, with cream filling and thick, fudgy frosting, and not holiday cupcakes. They were discontinued some years ago, but I still harrass the Entenmann's delivery guys about them.

cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 2:05pm
post #13 of 32

My and my husbands favorite are the chocolate covered donuts! icon_lol.gif I love to have a big glass of cold chocolate milk with mine, almost as good as the breakfast of champions ...... Cake and Milk
thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif
evelyn

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 2:36pm
post #14 of 32

OMGosh! Entenmann's mini chocolate chip cookies and chocolate covered donuts! I didn't realize I missed them until I saw this post! I'm originally from Massachusetts but now live in Colorado. We do get Entenmann's coffee cakes but not the full line. I used to use their pound cake to make my strawberries and cream trifle but now I have to make my own since no other store bought comes close!

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 2:58pm
post #15 of 32

All I have to say is Raspberry Danish Twist

cutthecake Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 3:19pm
post #16 of 32

Those chocolate covered donuts are outrageous! And they keep turning up on one of those lists of "The Ten Worst Things to Eat". But that doesn't stop me.
Do you refrigerate them, so the chocolate cracks when you bite into them? Or dunk them in milk so the hardened chocolate retains the milk in the donuts?
I must go to the store NOW.

rosiecast Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosiecast Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 4:30pm
post #17 of 32

I live in NY and where I get off to transfer to the train there's an Entenmann's outlet. OMG! I run every time I get close to that place. lol

funcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funcakes Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 6:19pm
post #18 of 32

My husband worked right next to the Entenmann's outlet. Thank goodness he changed jobs-or I would have to go to the gym twice a day or weigh 300lbs. Then a Pepperidge Farm outlet opened in my town, fortunately that just closed too. It was great to get the crackers for a discount, but I couldn't leave the store without a few boxes of cookies!
A coach outlet has opened in that store. That is better for my waist line, but not for my wallet.

AuntAndrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AuntAndrea Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 6:44pm
post #19 of 32

Oh yes... the Entennman's Outlet Store!!! Where discounted snacks were then marked with a red marker or a blue marker to indicate that they were "seconds" (meaning they weren't perfectly showing in their box anymore) and you could get another 40% or 50% off!!! Who cared if one of the cupcakes had fallen onto it's side while inside the box -- it was still delicious, and now 1/2 price just cause the package didn't look perfect!!! HEAVEN!!! thumbs_up.gif

Oh how my family could do some major damage in there when I was growing up!!! Which explains why I have to go to Weight Watchers now as an adult... icon_redface.gif

icon_biggrin.gif

CakeMakar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakar Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 6:55pm
post #20 of 32

You'll be happy to know that Entenmann's is coast to coast. I grew up with it in Virginia & Texas, and now in CA there is an outlet store about 2 mins away and another about 10 mins. and most grocery stores stock it. My mom always bought the coffee cake and cream cheese filled bread like (like the picture of those twists).
I don't know the cupcakes you're talking about - I'll have to go to the store and see if they have anything fudge covered.

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 7:05pm
post #21 of 32

You're all making it VERY hard for me to stick to my diet!!! Entenmann's ANYTHING is delicious, but I have to say I'm a total sucker for those donuts...the chocolate covered ones and the big glazed cake donuts. OMG!!! I'll bet the floor of the Entenmann's factory even tastes good!

cutthecake Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 7:26pm
post #22 of 32

The cupcakes are now just made for holidays, I think. But the Halloween ones taste the best. I don't know why, they just do. They are all basically the same cupcake, with different colored icings on them. The Easter ones used to have coconut, but I think they took it off.
The Entenmann's delivery guys must want to hide when they see me approaching because I frequently grill them on the anticipated delivery dates of the cupcakes, and the absence of year-round cupcakes.

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 8:12pm
post #23 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthecake

The Entenmann's delivery guys must want to hide when they see me approaching because I frequently grill them on the anticipated delivery dates of the cupcakes, and the absence of year-round cupcakes.

That is hysterical!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif "Oh dayum - it's that crazy pastry lady again! Why, oh why do they let her in here on our delivery day???"

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 10:51pm
post #24 of 32

OMGOSH...Love the Chocolate donuts ..we lovingly call them the plastic donuts because of the cracking chocolate on the top!

bettinashoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bettinashoe Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 11:06pm
post #25 of 32

Oh this post brought a smile to my face. I grew up on the West Coast and we had Entenmann's there. I loved those chocolate covered donuts. The icing was like wax, except tasty. My very favorite was the original Louisiana Crunch Cake. I think they changed the recipe to a low fat one in the 90's which totally ruined it.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 11:14pm
post #26 of 32

Give me a box of Entenmann's and a box of the pb Tastycakes and I'm a happy girl!!!

Bela89 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bela89 Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 11:28pm
post #27 of 32

My favorite Entenmann's was the pineapple and cream cheese struddle, but they discontinued it. The chocolate covered donuts are really good, especially cold.

dozenredroses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dozenredroses Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 1:21am
post #28 of 32

OMG I am feeling like a pathetic jersey girl because I relate to this thread! I loved the chocolate doughnuts!

saapena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saapena Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 9:17pm
post #29 of 32

I hope all of you now realize that I will have to go to the store for the chocolate covered donuts--those are absolutely the best. If I am in a good mood, I will not hide them from the rest of the family! icon_twisted.gif

lilmissbakesalot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmissbakesalot Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 9:40pm
post #30 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntAndrea

Oh yes... the Entennman's Outlet Store!!! Where discounted snacks were then marked with a red marker or a blue marker to indicate that they were "seconds" (meaning they weren't perfectly showing in their box anymore) and you could get another 40% or 50% off!!! Who cared if one of the cupcakes had fallen onto it's side while inside the box -- it was still delicious, and now 1/2 price just cause the package didn't look perfect!!! HEAVEN!!! thumbs_up.gif

Oh how my family could do some major damage in there when I was growing up!!! Which explains why I have to go to Weight Watchers now as an adult... icon_redface.gif

icon_biggrin.gif

I used to live next to the Ben & Jerry's factory in VT. They sold seconds too... baaaaaaaaaad for the diet!

I am die hard scratch baker, but Entenman's mini chocolate chip cookies are horribly awesome. They were what my grandmother would get for a treat.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%