Airbrush And Luster Dust

Decorating By cakemommync Updated 11 Oct 2008 , 2:20am by bobwonderbuns

cakemommync Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 12:10am
post #1 of 7

Can you use luster dust in an airbrush machine? I just got one today and haven't tried it yet but would love to cover my fair cake in shiny coating but don't have time to order any of the special airbrush colors and we don't have anyone around here who sells them that I can find.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

6 replies
JanetBme Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 12:16am
post #2 of 7

yes, just mix it with vodka or everclear- mix it to about as thick as a brand new bottle of cheap nail polish (looks solid color in the container but when you do the first coat it's see thru) It might be easier for you to start pretty thin anyway- til you get used to dealing with your airbrush.
Depending on the brand/type of airbrush you have, you might have to back the needle out a little bit.

Make sure you wash out the airbrush really well afterwards.

post #3 of 7

yes, just mix it with vodka or everclear- mix it to about as thick as a brand new bottle of cheap nail polish (looks solid color in the container but when you do the first coat it's see thru) It might be easier for you to start pretty thin anyway- til you get used to dealing with your airbrush.
Depending on the brand/type of airbrush you have, you might have to back the needle out a little bit.

post #4 of 7

JanetBme Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 12:19am
post #5 of 7

sorry about the triple post! it seemed like it was stuck!

cakemommync Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 1:48am
post #6 of 7

I read all directions 3 times anyway! THANKS!

bobwonderbuns Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 2:20am
post #7 of 7

Just be sure to use a LITTLE bit of lustre dust with a LOT of everclear (or vodka.) They also have "airbrush friendly" pearl dusts available. You want a very liquidy solution so you don't clog the head (which runs as much as the whole airbrush if you screw it up)! icon_confused.gif They also have liquid pearl and gold and silver colors just for airbrushes. Good luck and let us know how it goes! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%