How Do You Mix Your Icing?

Baking By shiney Updated 11 Oct 2008 , 5:28pm by GI

shiney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shiney Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 11:58pm
post #1 of 7

Sounds like a stupid question, right? I think cakers (another of my shineyisms) color and mix icing with toothpick, then throw the toothpick away. For me, a toothpick is not strong or sufficient enough. I take the end of a spoon, dip it in the wilton color, then stir with the same end of the spoon. If I need more color, another spoon. I've got a sink full of spoons! icon_cry.gif So, I was thinking maybe I should use those kabob skewers, but that might get expensive. Anyone want to share your method with me?
Thanks

6 replies
Criola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Criola Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 12:10am
post #2 of 7

I use coffee stirrers (sp?) a box of them is very cheap

shiney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shiney Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 12:15am
post #3 of 7

wah-la! Sounds like a great idea. One of those...why didn't I think of that...moment

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 12:32am
post #4 of 7

Those little wooden paddle spoons that kids use to eat their ice-cream go great. Their at the craft stores and cheap. I'll mark lines on a few to leave for a "pattern" if I want, or right it right on the recipe, for how much color to mix in.

Great post. icon_smile.gif

Honeydukes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honeydukes Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 1:46pm
post #5 of 7

I use both Americolor and Wilton colors. With Wilton, I take a spatula, scoop and drop a "dab" of paste onto a small piece of wax paper. I take a toothpick and dip it into the color and then add to my icing. With AC gel, I drop some color onto the wax paper and use a toothpick to pull out as much a s I need. That way I don't ever "double-dip" into my color and I don't waste a ton of wooden popsicle sticks, which is what I used to do. It makes it easy to keep adding more gel or paste without wasting those either. -- This also allows me to mix colors as I need. Just like a palette, I drag some over and mix away.

Criola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Criola Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 3:54pm
post #6 of 7

GI and Honeydukes...both great ideas! thanks!

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 5:28pm
post #7 of 7

Honeydukes, I'm going to try your style and see how I like it. I have a tendancy to let the colors sit out too long, then they get a little Muddy-dryish & then difficult to put back in their proper container.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%