Treated Myself To New Convection Oven

Baking By shiney Updated 16 Oct 2008 , 11:46pm by diamond008

shiney Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 11:10pm
post #1 of 12

Got this new convection oven today!! icon_biggrin.gif So I did a CC search for convection oven cookies, and what I saw was lower temp by 25 degrees, and shorten cooking time. Anyone using convection and loving it? thumbs_up.gif Not loving it? thumbsdown.gif
Also, there was a thread about drying cookies in oven, someone had some super-hero setting. Is that convection?
Thanks !!

11 replies
SweetDreamsAT Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 2:49pm
post #2 of 12

shiney - I am so excited for you!! Convection baking rocks my world!!icon_smile.gif I saved up (for a long time) to get a double wall oven - both convection - and now if I need to, I can bake 10 sheets at the same time. In my sad little gas range oven, I could only bake one at a time and then rotate it half way through. It definitely took some getting used to, refiguring baking times, etc. I don't know about the super hero setting though, maybe someone else will. icon_wink.gif
Happy baking to you!

shiney Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 3:51pm
post #3 of 12

Sweetdreams: TEN sheets at a time? I'm mega-cited to be be able to do three to four now (using the racks out of my old oven. Can't wait to give it a whirl today! Outside of the cookie world (my family has decided I was unaware the oven could be used for something other than cookies here lately) I did roasted chicken and veg last night.....It was fantastic!

yankeegal Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 8:07pm
post #4 of 12

icon_cry.gif I am so jealous!!!

I have that tired old gas range that only fits 2 sheets at a time and I have to rotate them. That's why I will not take anymore mega orders.
I am saving for a convection oven...Mmmm-Son's college or Mom's new oven? How do I sell it to DH?

SILVERCAT Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 9:40pm
post #5 of 12

My convection setting goes right to 325 degrees when it is started. It doesnt seem to cut down on the cooking time but that might because my electric goes out from time to time and I dont reset the settings.

3GCakes Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 9:52pm
post #6 of 12

Ok...can someone tell me (and I hate to sound stupid) ... convection ovens are only electric..is that right? I have been wanting a gas oven because I love stove-top cooking with gas, but I also want a convection oven for baking.

I'd settle for convection since I don't even have a gas line hooked up....but I was wondering nonetheless.

Congrats on your new toy!

loulou2 Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 10:01pm
post #7 of 12

You could get a dual fuel stove & then you would have your gas burners & convection (electric) oven. I considered that option but in the end went for the slightly less expensive all electric with smooth cooktop.
I have not regreted my purchase for one instant & DH has on numerous occasions told me to stop drooling (not literally) over my perfect cakes!! icon_biggrin.gif

shiney Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 10:02pm
post #8 of 12

Cakemom, looks like they do have gas convection, but are quite expensive. Did my first batch this past weekend in my new convection....LOVE IT. Kept racks from my old and did four sheets at a time. Yepee!

SILVERCAT Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 10:09pm
post #9 of 12

My stove is gas but also takes electric to run it. I got my stove at Lowes for under $1000.00, Ive had it a year and has taken time to figure it out. Like I totally forgot it had a self cleaning setting on it, I think I will wait until spring next year bc its not that dirty. If I got into a really big cleaning spree I could just use easy off!

3GCakes Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 11:16pm
post #10 of 12

Thanks, everyone! I am going to put convection on my Christmas list....it may actually turn into Valentine's Day...or beyond...but sometime!

Also, just a BTW along the lines of what Silvercat mentioned about cleaning....Y'all know not to clean "self clean" your oven right before the holidays, right...cause your heating element could go out the day before you have to make your turkey and it costs double or triple to fix that stuff around then....

If you are going to do it, do it now! (My husband is an HVAC guy, and the same holds true for turning on your furnace, turn it on and test it now BEFORE it gets cold, so if something is wrong, it's not in a time of emergency)

Sorry to get off topic. I still have convection envy.

SILVERCAT Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 11:33pm
post #11 of 12

I actually got my new stove after baking with a 40yr old stove, when it took eight hours to cook a turkey and the damn thing still wasn't cooked. It wasn't a GIANT bird but we ended up slicing it and finished cooking it that way. Look right around the holidays bc the stores are trying to get rid of the scratch and dented ones, thats what mine is! Also as a reminder if you clean your oven make sure to open the house up!

diamond008 Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 11:46pm
post #12 of 12

You will absolutely love your new convection oven. I got mine about a year ago and love it. Mine is dual fuel, gas top and electric oven.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%