Preventing "wet-Look" With Fondant???

Decorating By kellertur Updated 12 Oct 2008 , 12:21am by KoryAK

kellertur Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 10:57pm
post #1 of 11

Hello,
I've attached the pic with this problem of "wet-look" fondant. I think it's from adding shortening to hands and I've since tried another recipe... how do you avoid the wet-look without it drying out? I seem to run from one extreme to the other with this stuff...

My customer loved this cake, but I hate the surface reflection... it was difficult to photograph.

Thank you for any feedback.
LL

10 replies
IloveEmmaCakes Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 11:04pm
post #2 of 11

Hi, BEAUTIFUL cake first off!!

I've never had a problem with the "wet look" but then again, I never use Crisco while making the fondant or decorating with it.. I use CS..
Not sure what could prevent the wet look.. Sorry.. icon_sad.gif

hwnhulahands Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 11:06pm
post #3 of 11

Try using cornstarch when rolling out the fondant and on the rolling pin and use lots of it too!!!!

kellertur Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 12:49am
post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwnhulahands

Try using cornstarch when rolling out the fondant and on the rolling pin and use lots of it too!!!!

I do use cornstarch... lots of it, but try to monitor the amount as I go along. (Kate Sullivan's book mentioned CS, so I use it.)

I don't use "crisco", but I do use an organic shortening, per the instructions, to coat my hands... I feel like a dunce, that I can't seem to figure this one out... dunce.gif I've even had the problem with the fondant looking sticky/shiny/gummy, yet cracking at the same time... icon_confused.gif
I LOVE sculpting with fondant, but hate decorating with it... does that make sense to anyone???? I really need to figure this problem out...

thanks for your help and for the compliment on my cake. icon_smile.gif

lorijom Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 2:23am
post #5 of 11

I use only shortening, no ps or cs, when working with fondant and I haven't ever seen the shiny look. I'm wondering what kind of fondant you're using and maybe it's very soft. Does the fondant start out nice and "flat" finished when you start out and also feel like bread dough and not sticky? Could you be over working it?

kellertur Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 4:07am
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorijom

I use only shortening, no ps or cs, when working with fondant and I haven't ever seen the shiny look. I'm wondering what kind of fondant you're using and maybe it's very soft. Does the fondant start out nice and "flat" finished when you start out and also feel like bread dough and not sticky? Could you be over working it?

I have used a few recipes (some from here, one from Toba's book). I don't think it's the recipes, honestly because other people swear by the same one's I've tried. After I let the fondant "set" it still seems a bit sticky, so I knead in some CS. At first it seems "ok" then I roll it out and start seeing "cracks?" and the fondant wants to pull away from itself. (man, I'm high-maintenance on this icon_redface.gif ) This is so frustrating... when I roll it out, it wants to tear when I lift it, etc. I REALLY wish there was a class around here- just ONE workshop... I'm such a visual learner.

icon_redface.gif Sorry for this stupid question: How would I know if I'm overworking it?

Thank you everyone ~ I realize how annoying this post must sound to those of you who can handle fondant blind-folded while juggling chainsaws.

KoryAK Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 5:47am
post #7 of 11

Good lord (from the picture it looks like) that's a lot of shortening! I roll my fondant out on a blue silicone mat (www.decopac.com $18ish) with just a little Pam on the bottom side, nothing on the top. No problems (I use Satin Ice).

lorijom Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 3:51pm
post #8 of 11

I think your problem may be kneading in the CS. If you have a sticky problem add PS because that is one of the ingredients in your fondant...sort of like adding additional flour when kneading bread. So here are my key things:

non-sticky fondant
kneaded just until smooth...no cottage cheese look
very thin film of crisco on my rolling surface
roll out to slightly less than 1/4 inch

keep trying you'll get it. I use Michele Foster's fondant and have no problems. HTH and I'll send good fondant thoughts your way icon_smile.gif

vanillafairy Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 5:26pm
post #9 of 11

I had the same problem, but it wasn´t the shortening...it was condensation, because where I live is very humid, so I tried many recipes but it was always the same thing, so i switch to a comercial fondant, and voilá...problem solved, i don´t know.... there must be something they add to the fondant that prevent condensation, thumbs_up.gif good luck!!

kellertur Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 10:46pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoryAK

Good lord (from the picture it looks like) that's a lot of shortening!

Hey, my best buddy lives in Anchorage too... she owns the "S.P.E.L.L Clinic".

Anway, thanks everyone for all the info... I'll try all these tips. It could partly be condensation, because I store my unused fondant in refrigerator (per the instructions) I've been dying to try Satin Ice, but the shipping charges are outrageous... almost as much as the fondant itself.

Thanks again thumbs_up.gif

KoryAK Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 12:21am
post #11 of 11

Hey, I get my Satin Ice from www.decopac.com (and trust me I KNOW about some shipping charges!). They have $27 flat shipping so I'll ship a couple hundred pounds at a time for that icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%