Trying To Get My 17 Mth Old Girlie Off Of Her Binkie =/

Lounge By IloveEmmaCakes Updated 30 Oct 2008 , 12:16pm by jammjenks

IloveEmmaCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IloveEmmaCakes Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 10:50pm
post #1 of 19

Yes, I am going to be brave and try and get my 17 mth old baby girl Emma off of her binkie.. (At least, I'm gonna try.).. icon_confused.gif
The longest it's been out of her mouth was probably... 5 or 6 hours? icon_lol.gif

I wanna get her to stop using it soon! Anybody have any ideas on how they got their kiddo off of it?
I'm open to anything!! thumbs_up.gif
HELP!

18 replies
jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 11:13pm
post #2 of 19

We never gave them to our kids, but I've known people who tied helium ballons to it and let it go and someone who took her little boy to Build a Bear and let him put it inside the bear before they stitched it, and both worked. Good luck! I've heard it's hard to do!

mocakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mocakes Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 12:16am
post #3 of 19

Not sure that at 17 months she will understand....but here's what we did with our daughter and it worked like a charm!!!

We started telling her that when her "binkie" didn't taste good anymore that meant she was a BIG girl! So for about a month we would give it to her at nap and at bedtime and ask, "Does it still taste good?" and she would nod or say yes. We'd just say "okay"...and let her have it.

Finally, after a month, (we were so nervous!) when she woke up that morning and gave us her pacifier....we secretly soaked it in vinegar! ( I know....YUK....but stay with me here). Before her nap, I took it out of the vinegar, dried it off, and put it where it normally was. I reached up on the refrigerator and handed it to her. She put it in her mouth....and pulled it out as fast as she could wrinkling her nose and staring at it.

I asked her, "Does it taste good?" She said no, of course, and I clapped and hugged her and made a big deal out of the fact that "now she was a BIG girl!!"

I laid her down for a nap and she did great! That night for bed, she did ask for her binkie and I handed it to her and before she got it up to her mouth, she stared at it remembering her earlier experience and handed it back!

I wish I had done that for my older 2 boys....it sure was a lot less traumatic! icon_wink.gif

margaretb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
margaretb Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 5:10am
post #4 of 19

That vinegar trick is a hoot!

I don't have any advice. My oldest used his soother until he was about 3 1/2. I mean, the kid would carry around 2 or 3 of them at all times, and before he put them down he would have to suck on each one. We were getting rude comments from strangers, so we started having them just at home or in the van. And then I started talking about how he would have to give them up when he was 4, and then one day he just threw them out. I couldn't believe it. Every once in a while he would find an old one in the toys or whatever, and he would suck on it fondly then toss it. My next son wasn't a soother kid, but he loved his bottle. What (finally!) did it for him was we saw the dentist and I told him the dentist said the bottle was giving him cavities (which it was), and he stopped using it. Although he will polish off the baby's bottle if he finds it lying around.

I've heard of people taking them to the hospital and giving them to the nurses in the maternity ward for the new babies.

Best of luck. And if it doesn't work out this time, it's okay, it will work out eventually.

IloveEmmaCakes Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 2:52am
post #5 of 19

WOW, Mocakes, I really like the vinegar idea!! Sneaky!! icon_lol.gif lol
How old was your daughter when you got her off of it?
I would try something like tying it to a balloon but she might just think that's some kind of game & that it's coming back or something.
Thanks again for the advice!

SliceTheCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SliceTheCake Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 3:26am
post #6 of 19

Good luck! My daughter never wanted a paci until she weaned (almost 3 years old) and she used one to go to sleep until she fell and cracked her tooth...at which point I told her she was a big girl, no more sippy cups and no more paci either. She asked, but she hasn't had one since then.

Do you have any friends with babies? You could tell her that the paci is for the baby, and she needs to give it to the baby. (This is what worked for me when i was a kid and my little brother was born)

kettlevalleygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kettlevalleygirl Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 3:34am
post #7 of 19

I know this doesn't sound great to all of you out there, but sometimes, the soother helps the teeth grow into the correct position and a soother is not such a bad thing, (usually bad when they are too old and are walking around in public)
I am a dental assistant, and have been in the business for 30 years, and what I have found working for a dentist that doesn't believe in extreacting teeth, is that the teeth usually need to be brought out and not sucked back, if that makes sense....
Extraction orthodontics is a big no no.....
Growing the jaw is what should be done...(extractions make the jaw bone shrink which leads to a lot of ear, neck, shoulder, migraine issues....)
I am very passionate about this...
I had three kids, one loved her soother, and she had it till she was about two, then she just kept it for bedtime, and it was less and less as time went on...
My personal opinion (dental opinion above thumbs_up.gif ), is that you don't make a big deal out of it, because it will lead to a lot of insecurities.... same as potty training, they will do it when they are ready...
Good luck, and don't let anybody tease her....sometimes family is the worst...

margaretb Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 3:40am
post #8 of 19

My son's bottom teeth were definitely pushed back because of the soother, but after he got rid of it at just over 3 1/2, they went back into place quite quickly. Less than a year, I'd say, until you couldn't tell. Just FYI.

ziggytarheel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ziggytarheel Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 11:33am
post #9 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlevalleygirl

I know this doesn't sound great to all of you out there, but sometimes, the soother helps the teeth grow into the correct position and a soother is not such a bad thing,

I've always heard the exact opposite of this. How often is this the case?

I know that in my extended family, there have been rather big and expensive orthodontic as well as speech problems (requiring long term therapy) caused by hanging on to these things too long.

IloveEmmaCakes Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 2:21pm
post #10 of 19

Thanks again for the advice. Im not trying to get it away from her because her teeth are forming different (they're actually perfect on top and bottom) or because people tease her.. I'm trying to get it away from her because I don't want her to be 4 or 5 and still carrying around her binkie!! I have a niece that just turned 8 a couple of weeks ago and she STILL sucks her thumb!
That's kinda what started me on this whole thing of wanting her to stop
I was surpised when my niece came up to me and said "Aunt Brittany, guess how long I've been sucking on this thumb?" (of course I knew but I said "how long Ms. Ashlyn?") her response.. "8 WHOLE years!!"
haha
And I have to admit it made me laugh, but I don't want an 8 yr old binkie-sucker!
LL

IloveEmmaCakes Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 2:28pm
post #11 of 19

Ok, those are both the same picture! whoops!! I wanted to show you a pic of her with and without the BINKIE!

here's another..
LL

margaretb Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 4:54pm
post #12 of 19

Beautiful girl.

I think a lot of the growing up stuff we get all worried about, but for most kids, it will all just resolve itself without us making ourselves crazy. I am the lazy kind of parent and my kids are the good kind of kids, so for lots of stuff, I just let it go, and lo and behold I've got a potty trained, sootherless kid in kindergarten this year.

Anyway, my point isn't to say that it is right or wrong for you to do such and such at such and such an age for the child. My point is that for most kids, they will be fine whichever way you choose to do things. This is my bit to help parents fight off the cruel mistress of perfectionism.

imagine76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagine76 Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 6:49pm
post #13 of 19

my son's 2 1/2 and he's been with out his binkie for about 3 weeks. he only could have it at nap time and bed time. if my hubby caught him with one he had sneaked, he'd cut the nipple off of it. so we were down to 2 of them and my aunt was baby sitting and put him to bed he asked for his binkie and she gave him his blankie (thinking that's what he was saying). he slept just fine that night and i haven't given him one since. he's asked and i felt pretty guilty (he really loves that thing) but he's sleeping better now. i had been getting up every night to find a lost bink. not good for either of us. so, i guess my suggestion would be to first limit it to nap and bed time.

jescapades Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jescapades Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 12:07am
post #14 of 19

i wanted to ween my boys off their 'suckers' just after they turned 2 but i didn't have the heart to do it. one night, i went to my mothers of multiples meeting and heard a horror story from one of the moms in my group that her son put the entire thing in his mouth. i'm talking the WHOLE thing. i freaked out, went home that night and took the boys' suckers out of their beds. they never got them back. it was had for the first few nights, but they are now 3 and we haven't looked back.

TheCakeGirl87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakeGirl87 Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 5:16am
post #15 of 19

I don't know much about this topic since I don't have kids but I do work at a daycare. One if the best things that I have heard was something that the child actually told me, she came up to me and said that her "Binkey" was broken! I looked at it to see what was wrong with it and it has been cut. Her mother had cut a small silt in the end of it and told her that it was broken. It worked quite well. The next week I asked her where her "Binkey" was and she said that she threw it away because it was broken.

dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 4:28pm
post #16 of 19

Just poke a small hole in it. It won't suck the same and she will then come to you to fix it and just tell her it is broken and she can go throw it in the trash since it doesn't work anymore. Tell her they only work for babies and she is a big girl now so it stopped working. Then go get her a special book for being such a big girl. Good Luck

KeltoKel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KeltoKel Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 11:12pm
post #17 of 19

My son is just about 2 years and uses his binky for naps and bedtime only. I am not worried about taking it away since he isn't attached to it 24/7. I plan to have him weened by age 3.

With that said, I have a friend who wanted to ween her 3 year old from the binky. She went on the internet and showed her daughter ugly pictures of decaying and rotten teeth and told her that is what happens when you keep using a binky. Well, it worked b/c her daughter didn't want ugly teeth.

You can also have a little ceremony with your child, put it in a box, wrap it as a gift, and say you are going to give it to a new baby at the hospital (or if you know someone with a newborn, say you are giving it to them).

I still think the ugly teeth pics is a funny idea!

Jorre Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jorre Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 6:56am
post #18 of 19

I started by telling my girls that "Binkys" were for sleeping ONLY. So if you wanted one, that was fine but you had to stay in your bed. My older child did fine.... we then found at the age of 2 that she would fall asleep on the couch at night if we let her, without one. So we would wait until she was asleep and then carry her to bed. A few nights of that and she willingly gave hers up and went back to falling asleep in her bed.

My lil one though... OH MY. She was the greatest lil sleeper, she would go climb in bed and take a nap just so she could have that binky. At the age of 3, it HAD to go. We were down to 2 (1 was a hidden emergency one) and the dog chewed hers up, so I told her sorry, the dog chewed it up and the store doesn't have anymore. She screamed for HOURS and HOURS every night for 2 weeks. She didn't really cry, just would sit in her bed and scream I want my Daddy, I want my Sister, I want my Doggie, anyone BUT MOMMY. I hate my Mommy, she took my binky! My Mommy took my binky, I want a NEW Mommy...

That was about the worst 2 weeks of my life.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 12:16pm
post #19 of 19

My niece (almost 3 now) stopped the paci about 2 months ago. My sister (her mom) told her that the dog carried it off. She talked about it for a couple days, but never fussed for it.

My nephew (dh's sister's son...did you get all that?) was a little harder to break. SIL used a little trick she saw on one of those Nanny 911 shows. She put all his pacifiers in a gift bag and hung it on a tree in the yard overnight. In the morning when he looked out, a different bag was hanging there. In the new bag was a "big boy" train and a couple other big boy items. It worked really well for them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%