Mmf Question

Decorating By snoopy3 Updated 11 Oct 2008 , 1:02pm by Trixyinaz

snoopy3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snoopy3 Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 8:43pm
post #1 of 7

I am sure this has been asked, or told on cc somewhere, but I can't find it. How long in advance can I make my marshmallow fondant and do I have to refrigerate it, or can it be at room temperature?

Thanks in advance!!

6 replies
snowqueen93 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowqueen93 Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 9:07pm
post #2 of 7

MMF stays forever so you can make it a long time in advance if you want...weeks. I usually do it a couple days ahead and it doesn't get too hard but if it hardens just put it in the microwave for a couple of seconds. Then be careful when you take it out, it gets hot fast.
You can store it at room temp.

beth2027 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beth2027 Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 9:26pm
post #3 of 7

What is it that you all are doing that makes your MMF not get hard?? Mine gets very hard, so I don't use it to cover a whole cake. I thought I might be putting too much sugar in the mixture, but if I put less it is too sticky to work with.
Help! icon_cry.gif

kimberlina25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimberlina25 Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 4:35am
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by beth2027

What is it that you all are doing that makes your MMF not get hard?? Mine gets very hard, so I don't use it to cover a whole cake. I thought I might be putting too much sugar in the mixture, but if I put less it is too sticky to work with.
Help! icon_cry.gif

when i make mmf, i melt mm's and then put in about half the ps that the recipe calls for. i stir until it becomes a ball, then i plop it onto the counter and continue kneading in ps until it has the right consistency. if it is sticky, you need to add more ps a little at a time.

HTH!

banba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
banba Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 9:37am
post #5 of 7

I do the same as Kimberlina25.

I use half the ps in the mixer then I pour the other half on the counter and make a big clearing in the middle and then drop the mixed MMF into the middle of the ps on the counter and knead in as much ps as the mix can take without becoming to dry.

You will know when to stop kneading in ps as it will no longer be sticky and it will become harder to knead in more ps.

Trixyinaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trixyinaz Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 1:00pm
post #6 of 7

I do exactly as the other two previous posters do. I unfortunately didn't add enough PS on my last batch (about a month ago) so it is a bit sticky when I go to use it. I take out what I need and just kneed in more PS to make it not so sticky and more workable. I'm getting ready to make two more batches and pray it comes out perfect like my first two batches that I made.

If yours is getting too hard, you might be adding too much PS. Sometimes I don't use the whole 2 lbs of PS the recipe calls for (I'm assuming b/c of the weather). I've never covered an entire cake with it, but I have done portions and the MMF has never gotten hard once applied to the cake.

Trixyinaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trixyinaz Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 1:02pm
post #7 of 7

Also wanted to say that make sure you wrap your MMF very well in saran wrap and then place in a ziplock bag. I try to squeeze out all the air before sealing it. Like I've said, I made this last batch about a month ago and it's still nice and soft. And, I don't put mine in the fridge. I keep it in the cupboard or on the counter nicely wrapped and sealed. Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%