My "non-Cake" Wedding Cake Set Up!

Decorating By indydebi Updated 12 Oct 2008 , 1:24pm by pamconn

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 6:46pm
post #1 of 22

I love this one so much I had to share in a thread!

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-gallery_display_1274312.htmlp

This bride came to us in frustration. She had told every bakery and cake maker, "We're not cake people .... we don't want a cake, we just want a lot of desserts." They all told her, "oh no, you DO want a cake!" and they just refused to work with her on what she wanted.

I had seen something similar some time ago and was DYING to do a set up like this, so I was jumping up and down when I got the chance! When she came to the sampling, I even had a small prototype set up on my table, made with glass shelves and about 4 glass blocks for her to see.

I spent over $350 on the materials just for the stand. The biggest mirror was $68 at Lowe's. 4 of the glass blocks are rounded edges and were $17 each. Used over a dozen glass blocks in this. The lights and greenery added a great touch, glowing thru the glass blocks. With the expense of the materials, and the extra manpower it takes to transport (do you have any idea how heavy those blocks are??? icon_eek.gif ), this is one of my exception cakes, where I WILL charge an extra fee for the design.

My staffer, Karen, worked this one solo and she bluntly told me "This is a two-man job, lady!" icon_lol.gif But she did great in setting it up and preparing all of those little desserts.

I made over 200 choc cov'd strawberries and 150 choc cov'd maraschino cherries, plus about 200 mini cookies (about 2" across). The groom loved key lime, so I contacted a friend who runs a cupcake bakery and got 48 mini key lime cupcakes from him. The rest are frozen high-end desserts from GFS ... mostly in the cheesecake category. Oh ... and some choc pudding/mouse in plastic shot glasses. (I bought a big can of pudding, and filled 2 LARGE disposable decorating bags for Karen. Easy for her to snip the end off of the bag and fill the mini glasses.) I bought some mini martini glasses and shot glasses from GFS, plus had mini forks and spoons. Saw these at the GFS food show this past spring and was waiting on pins and needles for a chance to use them!!

The bride luv'd the effect. Karen told me she ran out of my biz cards, so many people were asking for them. The photographer, who is also a personal friend, told me "....take this design and run with it. You'll become the local Martha Stewart with this one!" icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

We did make an 8" cake for the cake cutting photo, that was also cut and served to guests.

I apologize for running on and sounding my own horn, but I think it looks so great and Karen did a fabulous job of setting it up, that I just had to share the excitement!

21 replies
chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 6:52pm
post #2 of 22

WOW! That looks great, sissy!

tonimarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonimarie Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 11:36pm
post #3 of 22

icon_eek.gif wow!!! Beautiful. that was a lot of work!! now whatcha gonna do with all the mirrors and glass............???????? icon_smile.gif

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 11:57pm
post #4 of 22

Love it debi.............wish I had that at my Wedding, it's making me hungry just looking at it icon_smile.gif

Great Jobicon_wink.gif

Deb

ElectricCook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ElectricCook Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 12:17am
post #5 of 22

Amazing. Just Amazing. icon_biggrin.gif Debi you never stop suprising me. icon_cool.gificon_cool.gif

I love the whole look. I will diff keep this in the back of my head for future use. icon_smile.gif

You are tooting your own horn and sharing also icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif . We really understand you pride and accomplishment with the set-up and design.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 12:25am
post #6 of 22

That's fab!! What are the little trays under the mini desserts?

DaisyLisa17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DaisyLisa17 Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 12:27am
post #7 of 22

Debi-- That is too cool!! Toot away!! You should be proud of that!

kel58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kel58 Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 12:29am
post #8 of 22

Where were you when I got married?? lol I didnt want the traditional cake and everyone looked at me like i was insane! I love the design. It doesnt suprise me that the bride ran out of your business cards. You do amazing work and deserve to "toot you own horn".

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 12:30am
post #9 of 22

Very cool I love it.

Mike

__Martha__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Martha__ Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 12:33am
post #10 of 22

Absolutely STUNNING!!! Excellent job.

laynie72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laynie72 Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 12:36am
post #11 of 22

I love the look !! everything looks delicious! icon_smile.gif

I wanted something like this for my wedding but I couldnât find anyone with a good idea, and someone offer me a buffet but it was very expensive and I went for the cake icon_sad.gif

ncbert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ncbert Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 12:40am
post #12 of 22

Keep tootin' that horn! It's well deserved. Everything looks so decedent!!!

klangl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klangl Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 1:09am
post #13 of 22

My Grandmother gave me several of those glass blocks she had in her basement, knowbody could understand why I wanted them. This is the very reason WHY, and I have been waiting for a chance to use them for cake decorating, you have been a great inspiration for me. I love it!
Thanks for sharing your wonderful work!!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 1:15am
post #14 of 22

icon_eek.gif Yowza!!! That's a great stand Indy!! How creative!! icon_lol.gif

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 1:15am
post #15 of 22

icon_eek.gif Yowza!!! That's a great stand Indy!! How creative!! icon_lol.gif

indydebi Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 1:19am
post #16 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

That's fab!! What are the little trays under the mini desserts?

they are the little plates pictured in this thread, that I used for samplings/filling flavors: http://forum.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=592119&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=sampling&&start=15

I get them at GFS, product #6889801 (white), 2.5", 50 to a pack for $7.79. They come in black and white. The black product code is 6889601. GFS also has the tiny little forks and spoons, but I don't have those product codes handy.

indydebi Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 1:21am
post #17 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by klangl

My Grandmother gave me several of those glass blocks she had in her basement, knowbody could understand why I wanted them. This is the very reason WHY, and I have been waiting for a chance to use them for cake decorating, you have been a great inspiration for me. I love it!
Thanks for sharing your wonderful work!!

I previously used these blocks in my City Skyline cake ( http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1219555 ). Lowe's sells strips of plastic "foam" that you can cut to length and lay on top of the blocks to help prevent scratching and skidding. If you use the no skid material between the blocks, please know that the colored no-skid will reflect within the blocks. If the brides colors are orange and you use orange no-skids, it's a great effect. If her colors are red and you use orange ... it looks pretty bad. icon_redface.gif (My engineer bride who helped design the City Skyline gave me that little tip .... I tested it out in the shop and she is SO right!)

mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 3:19am
post #18 of 22

thumbs_up.gif Indy, that is SOOOOO AWESOME!!!! How absolutely stunning for sure. I showed it to DH and he said he it was great!!! I have to save that and use for inspiration. Thanks for sharing!!! icon_biggrin.gif

SouthernSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SouthernSugar Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 3:40am
post #19 of 22

This is amazing! Thanks for sharing.

megankennedy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
megankennedy Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 3:44am
post #20 of 22

That looks really great - it almost doesn't matter what you're serving, the display would make it look gourmet even if it was not! I have been waiting to use glass blocks as well -

I don't know if you have seen this before, but I saw pics from a local high end caterer and he used glass blocks to prop up pieces of stone (granite? marble?), fairly inexpensive b/c they were end pieces and rough cuts, (all different shapes) nothing custom - just leftovers at a supplier - and he had sterno underneath them. The stones stayed warm and to keep the appetizers warm... kind of like a rigged hot plate/flat skillet.

gabbenmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gabbenmom Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 3:48am
post #21 of 22

As I said in the galleries, I love this set up! You and Karen did a GREAT job!! IF I ever get married, you can come to Texas and bring it all ! I would love to use something like this!!!!

pamconn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pamconn Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 1:24pm
post #22 of 22

Wow, that's one terrific set up!

The bride and groom must have been so happy to not only have their wish granted-but in such a spectacular way!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%