How Long Does Mmf Have To Sit Before I Can Use

Decorating By luvhavinbgtwins Updated 10 Oct 2008 , 9:54pm by tye

luvhavinbgtwins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvhavinbgtwins Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 5:58pm
post #1 of 16

I think the one I made 2 days ago is bad...I dont know wuy.. I cant even roll it out...it cracks and peels and no matter how much crisco I use its not helping

15 replies
IloveEmmaCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IloveEmmaCakes Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 6:08pm
post #2 of 16

Don't use Crisco... It will only make it worse (in my opinion). I've always made my own MMF. I use CS. I usually make it the day of or the day before I'm going to use it.. Once it's made I wrap it in saran wrap and put it in the fridge for about 2 hours then it's ready to use.. But it can stay in the fridge for up to 2 months.

luvhavinbgtwins Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 6:10pm
post #3 of 16

sorry I cant think right now what is cs?

I might be on myt way to the store to make more

luvhavinbgtwins Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 6:12pm
post #4 of 16

did you mean corn starch and how do you use that to make it not so dry?

IloveEmmaCakes Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 6:12pm
post #5 of 16

Corn Starch

IloveEmmaCakes Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 6:15pm
post #6 of 16

When I melt the marsh. and water completely I add half of the PS. then stir it.. After I Cover the table in CS then put the rest of the powdered sugar on top of that. Pour the mixture the try to combine all of it, knead it, adding extra PS.. That's it.. I do use Crisco for my hands so that they don't get messy.. But I don't recommend using it on the table, it just makes a big mess.

If you DO use Crisco just put a veryyyy thin layer on the surface before hand, but don't add much extra.. it just gets messy

IloveEmmaCakes Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 6:16pm
post #7 of 16

When I melt the marsh. and water completely I add half of the PS. then stir it.. After I Cover the table in CS then put the rest of the powdered sugar on top of that. Pour the mixture the try to combine all of it, knead it, adding extra PS.. That's it.. I do use Crisco for my hands so that they don't get messy.. But I don't recommend using it on the table, it just makes a big mess.

If you DO use Crisco just put a veryyyy thin layer on the surface before hand, but don't add much extra.. it just gets messy

luvhavinbgtwins Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 6:19pm
post #8 of 16

so you use the whole bag (2lb) of PS?

I am off to go get more.. its awful the stuff I have now...
Thanks so much

IloveEmmaCakes Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 6:28pm
post #9 of 16

OH YES! Def. use the WHOLE 2 lb bag! And you may have to use a little more than the 2 lbs.. but that usually does it for me

tye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tye Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 6:44pm
post #10 of 16

the great thing about MMF is that you can toss it in the microwave for a few seconds and bring it back to life.. i DO use crisco and dont have any problems.. i also use mine within 30-40 minutes of making... i also add flavoring (butter/vanilla etc) when i add the water.. seldom do i need to use PS on the table when rolling, i grease it down instead, the mess is way less and it keeps the MMF from drying out, i read that someone adds corn syrup to give more elasticity... but it didnt work for me.

luvhavinbgtwins Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 7:16pm
post #11 of 16

Do you use Crisco around the bowl before you microwave????

luvhavinbgtwins Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 7:17pm
post #12 of 16

Do you use Crisco around the bowl before you microwave????

tye Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 7:49pm
post #13 of 16

yes.. i also grease the mixing bowl the hook, my spatula and my hands..

moxey2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moxey2000 Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 8:36pm
post #14 of 16

You don't need to make more MMF, just micowave what you have for about 15 - 20 seconds. It will become soft and pliable again, just like when you made it.

I put some cornstarch into a shaker and sprinkle it lightly on my table before I roll out my MMF. I add more if necessary. I never have a problem with my MMF getting dried out from this.

Good luck. Hope everything works out for you.

luvhavinbgtwins Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 9:03pm
post #15 of 16

ok I just made 2 batches and they are in the fridge. But when I made them I didnt need all the 2lb bag..I used about 99% tho. It seemed dry.

So we will see cross your fingers for me... OO if does seem dry what do you do??

Thanks

tye Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 9:54pm
post #16 of 16

toss it in the microwave

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%