Magic Hat Cake

Decorating By karenha Updated 11 Oct 2008 , 4:14am by TJCanadian

karenha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karenha Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 5:24pm
post #1 of 7

Hi...my son is having a magic party for his 5th birthday in a few weeks. I'm thinking of doing a magician's hat with a bunny coming out on top of a slab cake. I've seen some amazing cakes on this site with this sort of theme. But I'm not exactly sure how to do the hat -- and what should I use for the bunny? Fondant?

Thanks so much!

6 replies
Ritakk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ritakk Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 5:45pm
post #2 of 7

You can cut your hat and bunny out of fondant. Sounds pretty easy to do. Then just use your piping gel for any details.

You could also do a FBCT which is a Frozen Butter Cream TRansfer. You can find direction on this site, I have done two so far, but my 2nd try was much better. They are frozen still and I haven't had to flip them over yet, I may have to make a 3rd if they don't do well. icon_sad.gif

Good Luck!

You can find hat and bunny shapes on any coloring book site, just print them off and use as a pattern to cut out of fondant, or use with the FBCT too.

Rita

karenha Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 6:35pm
post #3 of 7

Thank you for your reply. I was actually hoping to make the hat out of cake so it stands on the slab cake. I'm not sure what size cake pan to use and I don't know how to make the rim. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 6:49pm
post #4 of 7

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=690863

Here is the one I did. I made the hat from a regular round cake. The brim is made from a larger cake board that I covered with fondant also. The bunny was made from a a small cake that I carved into the ball shape. You could also use a ball pan depending on the size you wanted.

Disaster struck when I made the ears. I made them out of gumpaste and they didnt dry in time. I stuck them in the head and all looked great at first. I went outside for 1/2 hour and when I came back they had broken off and were lying on the counter. So I made them out of craft foam and stuck them inside of those wilton hollow dowels. It worked in a pinch.

kdosreis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kdosreis Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 8:38pm
post #5 of 7

Well merissa's cake puts mine to shame (I'm a newbe - this was my second cake), but here's one I did a couple weeks ago.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1268184.html

The hat is a small round cake, the brim is gumpaste covered in fondant & set on top. I cut a slit in the gumpaste so that I would be able to stick the bunny in. The bunny in the picture is actually bunny #4. My first two gumpaste sets cracked. I had to improvise at the last min and pipe RI on a cardboard cutout.

karenha Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 2:52am
post #6 of 7

Thank you so much for your ideas -- I love both of your cakes!

TJCanadian Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TJCanadian Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 4:14am
post #7 of 7

I'm excited, making one next week. My plan is to make the hat out of 8 inch rounds, then drying the brim the week before out of gumpaste to hang out over the edge of the top of the rounds and make the bunny head out of rice crispies and ears out of fondant or gumpaste.

Sound good?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%