Covering Cakes With Fondant

Decorating By angiev77 Updated 10 Oct 2008 , 5:36pm by PinkZiab

angiev77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angiev77 Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 5:20pm
post #1 of 5

I am confused about cakes that are different than just your basic-for example, italian cream, carrot, etc. Do you still use fondant to cover these? I have a cake to make but the person wants italian cream but I need to use fondant and I just don't know how the two are going to taste together. Anyone have any suggestions for covering a cake that isn't just white, yellow or chocolate?

4 replies
IloveEmmaCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IloveEmmaCakes Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 5:26pm
post #2 of 5

Are you talking about what kind of fondant you should use to go with the italian cream? I would try MMF.. it goes great with any cake, icing.

angiev77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angiev77 Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 5:28pm
post #3 of 5

Yes, I am using Satin Ice vanilla right now but I just don't feel like fondant would taste good on a carrot cake, italian cream cake, spice cake, etc. and was wondering if anyone else uses fondant on these types of cakes. I am kind of afraid to use MMF because there seem to be so many people who have problems with it!!!

IloveEmmaCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IloveEmmaCakes Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 5:35pm
post #4 of 5

I've used MMF on carrot and spice cakes! I've always made my own MMF and I've never had any problems with it since the day I started.. I've gotten many compliments when I use the MMF with Carrot and spice cakes. Do you make your own MMF?

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 5:36pm
post #5 of 5

I use fondant on all of my cakes. Vanilla (I use Satin Ice as well) is a good complement to almost any dessert flavor and the satin ice flavor is so subtle, whatever icing you use underneath usually takes over anyway.

This weekend I'm doing a two-tier cake in Satin Ice. The bottom tier is dark chocolate with pistachio cream, and the top is carrot cake with traditional cream cheese filling. Both will be iced in vanilla bean buttercream and covered in fondant. I've done these (and many other combos) many times and no one has ever not like it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%