How Do I Make Homemade Fondant Without It Cracking?

Decorating By Mamato4girls Updated 11 Oct 2008 , 11:13am by noyhoward

Mamato4girls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mamato4girls Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 5:14pm
post #1 of 5

I've tried sooo many recipes and I just can't get one that wont eventually crack! The one recipe thats the closest is really smooth but it still cracks no matter how thick or thin. It calls for corn syrup for pliability maybe add more? I'm lost please help!!!! icon_cry.gif

4 replies
Ritakk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ritakk Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 5:49pm
post #2 of 5

Have you tried the Marshmellow fondant? It is what I use, although I have had poor luck with it drying. icon_cry.gif If anyone has any clue as to why I can't get mine to dry hard with this recipe I would like to know. Thanks,
Rita

LisaR64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaR64 Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 12:02am
post #3 of 5

I ALWAYS had problems with my fondant cracking. As it turns out, I was using too much powdered sugar and making it too stiff to begin with. Now when I make it (MMF or Michelle Foster's recipe) I stop adding sugar when it still seems a bit soft to me (think soft bread dough).

I let it rest and liberally sprinkle my work surface with powdered sugar to roll it out. Since I starting making it this way, I have not had a single batch crack on me, not even when I've made red or black fondant, which are notorious for cracking.

banba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
banba Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 9:44am
post #4 of 5

Ease off on the ps and add some glycerine at the melting MM stage, well that's for making MMF.

noyhoward Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noyhoward Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 11:13am
post #5 of 5

I love using mmf.This is the way I make my brain remember what to do,I think of fondant as I would with my skin.If my skin dry & cracks,I put moisturizer so when my fondant does that I add crisco.If my skin is too oily or moist I put powder on so for my fondant if it get too sticky,I just add more powder sugar.I sorry this is how I make my mind work so I hope it will help.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%