Topsy Turvey (Not Carved!) Help...

Decorating By jenbakescakes Updated 19 Oct 2008 , 4:45am by mouse13

jenbakescakes Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 4:36pm
post #1 of 9

Hi there, I am making a wedding cake next weekend and the bride wants a topsy turvey, but instead of carving, the cakes will be whole and set on different angles. I am going to try to load a pic, hope it works!! Anyways, I have tried to pm the original creator of this cake but got no response so I was hoping that I could get some tips, tricks, help, anything, from you all! icon_smile.gif Anything would be appreciated, especially how do you get the cakes not to slide? Mine will only be a three tier but I fear that I will get a phone call an hour after I drop it off and they will say the layers are sliding all over the place! Can you tell I am a little freaked out about this cake?! icon_lol.gif Thanks in advance!!

In case the pic doesn't work, here is the link to the pic:
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=78567
LL

8 replies
FromScratch Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 5:11pm
post #2 of 9

A design like that is usually done with styrofoam wedges between the tiers. You then cover the styro with (in this case) leaves to hide it.

Pop a central dowel through it and ta-da.. you have a tilty cake. Cake boards under each cake and styro wedge and wooden dowels in each tier to support the weight.

I will attach a diagram for you. icon_smile.gif
LL

FromScratch Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 5:12pm
post #3 of 9

Ugh.. just wait a while and the image will be there.. such a pain.

jenbakescakes Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 5:48pm
post #4 of 9

Wow, great diagram, thanks!! So as long as dowel it right, the layers on each individual tier should stay put right? I just don't want them to slide! I will probably transport it separately since I have a ways to go and we have some BUMPY country roads! I am actually using leaves also, the tiers will be very simply designed and then the cake stand is a tree trunk! It will look really neat, the construction of this just freaks me out because this is something very new for me. I usually like my cakes to be nice and level! lol Thanks again Jkalman! (And may I say, I LOVE your avatar! Beautiful!!)

jenbakescakes Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 5:50pm
post #5 of 9

Oh and should I make the styrofoam wedges about 1-2" smaller than the tier it is supporting? Or should it be even smaller?

FromScratch Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 6:40pm
post #6 of 9

Let's try again..

So long as your angles are too extreme, your cake will be fine. A cake can handle a little lean. I'd make the wedges 2" smaller than the tier they support. You can go smaller, but that should be more than sufficient and it will give you more area for support dowels.

Thanks for your kind words about my avatar picture. That was my first gumpaste peony. icon_smile.gif

jenbakescakes Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 7:17pm
post #7 of 9

Cool, I think I got it!! icon_biggrin.gif Thanks so much! I will be sure to post a pic when I'm done!

jenbakescakes Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 10:51pm
post #8 of 9

Ok I can't figure out how to post the pic here, it's not cooperating, but the pic is in my photos. It turned out great I think! I haven't gotten a phone call saying it bit the dust yet so I guess that is a good sign! lol...Thanks again!!

mouse13 Posted 19 Oct 2008 , 4:45am
post #9 of 9

Wow your cake came out awesome.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%