No Cake At The Texas State Fair

Business By Pookie59 Updated 10 Oct 2008 , 10:18pm by Pookie59

Pookie59 Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 3:23pm
post #1 of 7

Visited the Texas State Fair this week. All the food vendor booths were pretty much the same - mostly overpriced deep fried items. Personally I would rather have had a fresh cupcake, brownie, cookie or some cobbler and ice cream rather than a battered and fried Snickers bar. I wonder how a vendor booth of that type would do at a venue like that.

6 replies
sweetcakes Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 3:37pm
post #2 of 7

i bet it would do great, the kids would rather have a cupcake im sure, what a great idea. though i hear the food booths are booked up years in advance.

kelleym Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 4:18pm
post #3 of 7

At the Puyallup Fair in Washington State, the big food attraction is hot scones. You usually have to wait in a line for 30 minutes to get them. So yes, baked items can do very well at the fair, it's all about creating a delicious product and a "niche" food that people associate with the fair in their mind. icon_smile.gif

Amia Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 4:46pm
post #4 of 7

I think that a cake booth would do well. Funnel cakes always sell well at carnivals and fairs, why not other baked goods? Though honestly, a fried snickers bar sounds pretty darn good. icon_biggrin.gif

I'm actually going up there this afternoon -- we picked the WORST weekend to go, the UT/OU game is tomorrow. Any suggestions about the State Fair?

FeGe_Cakes Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 5:01pm
post #5 of 7

A friend of mine stated a concession business and would like to get to the Texas State Fair sometime in the future. But the cost are out of this world..and you have to be there the entire length of the Fair. Don't quote me but I thought the booth fee was around $25,000 or more. You can do a part-time booth but you are not getting the peak days.

FeGe_Cakes Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 5:03pm
post #6 of 7
Originally Posted by amia1024

Any suggestions about the State Fair?

Go hungry!!! See the car shows. There are 2 buildings. 1 for american cars, and the other for foreign cars. Check out the exhibits.

The turkey legs are GREAT but too big for 1 person to eat unless you share. My mom and I normally bring a ziplock bag and get it on our way out to eat when we get home.

Pookie59 Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 10:18pm
post #7 of 7

I like the Fair, but its so expensive - a full price ticket is $15, parking is $10, the food is about triple the price you'd pay anywhere else, the Midway rides are $5-$6 each (way too pricey IMO). It's easy to spend $100 in just a couple of hours.

I was only there for a couple of hours this year (we went one evening), so we missed a bunch of stuff. Most of the fun events go on during the day.

One place we did enjoy was the kid's animal/petting zoo area, but I like that kind of thing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%