Returned Check - How To Handle

Decorating By sassycleo Updated 10 Oct 2008 , 4:04pm by indydebi

sassycleo Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 2:45pm
post #1 of 8

Ok I have an order due next Friday Oct. 17th. It's a groom's cake. I deposited the check a couple of days ago, which was for payment in full. I just found out that the check was returned.

How do I handle this with the customer. I want to send her an email so I have documentation, so should I keep it simple and simply state, your check was deposited and has been returned by the bank. Please advise.

Never have gone through something like this before and am looking for advice so I don't come off looking like an idiot and at this point, I'm planning on taking the cake off the schedule.

Thanks !

7 replies
Pookie59 Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 2:59pm
post #2 of 8

I would contact the bride ASAP and let her know you need cash immediately - give her a deadline (by 5:00 p.m. on October 13 or whatever). Try to phrase it nicely but let her know that without payment you will be forced to cancel the order.

beth2027 Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 3:14pm
post #3 of 8

I've never dealt with anything like that before either, but I agree that you should call her and give her a deadline and insist that she pay in cash or money order. No money = No cake.

dinas27 Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 3:14pm
post #4 of 8

I would send her an email but I would also phone! This needs to be dealt with immediately and some people dont check email on the weekend. You need CASH by XX deadline, no more checks.

tmt Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 3:18pm
post #5 of 8

As a recent bride, I can tell you what a whirlwind that time in your life is. I had a check bounce that i paid to my photographer. So much money is going out at that time, its hard to be sure that there are enough funds to cover it all the time. I was so mortified and I felt so bad! He was so nice and polite and didn't charge me any extra. That is all you need is to pay more icon_sad.gif

I would call her, explain the situation. I suspect it was a mix-up and nothing malicious. I'm sure she will be cooperative with whatever payment method you require next time. Good luck to you. Please just be kind to her. She must be going through a lot right now.

PinkZiab Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 3:24pm
post #6 of 8

I would email and call and be sure to tell her that you must be paid in full in CASH (INCLUDING any fees assessed to you by your bank for the bounced check) or no cake. But, yes, definitely be nice about it. It could be a simple oversight... just so long as she realizes that it needs to be fixed ASAP.

daltonam Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 3:29pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmt

As a recent bride, I can tell you what a whirlwind that time in your life is. I had a check bounce that i paid to my photographer. So much money is going out at that time, its hard to be sure that there are enough funds to cover it all the time. I was so mortified and I felt so bad! He was so nice and polite and didn't charge me any extra. That is all you need is to pay more icon_sad.gif

I would call her, explain the situation. I suspect it was a mix-up and nothing malicious. I'm sure she will be cooperative with whatever payment method you require next time. Good luck to you. Please just be kind to her. She must be going through a lot right now.

I agree. But request (not really a request) cash. I would make sure that you're bank didn't charge you for the returned deposit, if so charge her for that. If it caused you to have any other charges due to your own checks coming in without funds (due to this) charge her for this also---but I wouldn't charge her JUST to charge her.

If by chance she won't make it right, each state is different in how to handle bad checks. In Florida, it's the state atty office that handles it. (or it use to be)

Back to your original question. Call her & send her an e-mail confirmation of the phone call. There's your copy for your files.

good luck

indydebi Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 4:04pm
post #8 of 8

Call her and then follow up with a "to confirm our conversation..." email. I've had a couple of these and in all instances, the bride was very embarrassed and took care of it immediately. One was the final payment and they had closed the special account (they'd set one up just for wedding expenses) and thought all the checks had cleared.

It's usually just an oversight ... but call her.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%