Fondant Bow In Refrigerator?

Decorating By mama5kiddos Updated 18 Oct 2008 , 9:49pm by Kitagrl

mama5kiddos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mama5kiddos Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 2:09pm
post #1 of 9

I am going to be making my first fondant bow next week. The cake has a perishable filling, so it will need to be kept in the refrigerator. Is it okay for a fondant bow to go in the fridge or will it soften and fall apart? What do you suggest? TIA!

8 replies
ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 2:41pm
post #2 of 9

I would advise against refrigerating fondant that is not fully supported by the cake or something else - the condensation will cause it to collapse when you remove it from the fridge. Place the bow on after the cake comes to room temp. Course, I live in an extremely humid area - wouldn't even consider trying to make a bow from just fondant icon_rolleyes.gif

shanasweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanasweets Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 2:53pm
post #3 of 9

I did a cake recently the same way. I put my fondant accents on cake but left the actual bow off until I was ready to deliver. I made my fondant for bow and accents up in advance, then took enough out to make bow portion, added tmc powder to that portion, to help bow dry out better. Wrapped up extra fondant and saved until made cake, that way my fondant color was the same.

CristinaB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CristinaB Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 2:53pm
post #4 of 9

I've refrigerated many fondant decorations, but they've been bone dry before they've been placed on the cake. If yours isn't totally dry, I'd wait until you're ready to serve/deliver it to put the bow on. Good luck!

tmt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmt Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 3:09pm
post #5 of 9

the fridge has always made my bows collapse i would advise against it.

mama5kiddos Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 9:22pm
post #6 of 9

The customer is going to pick up this cake, should I just add the bow shortly before expecting her...or do I give it to her seperately to add on herself? I cant imaging handing off a cake that wasnt fully presentable though.

Would it be in the territory of "not my fault" if it happens after she refrigerates it, or should I warn her of the possibility? OR maybe should I advise her of a non perisheable filling or regular bow instead...(she was set on a fondant bow though)?

What do you all suggest...what would you do if someone wants a perisheable filling with fondant decorations such as these? I am still fairly new in the world of fondant decorating. Thanks for your help!

shanasweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanasweets Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 5:41am
post #7 of 9

I personally and did put the bow on for her to pick up, but told her if they were not eating in the next couple hours, she needed to remove bow and return cake to frig. I made it so the bow was easily removed. I warned her that the bow could collapse if placed in fridge. She was very understanding.

mama5kiddos Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 9:39pm
post #8 of 9

Thank you sltoklahoma. I took your advice and just asked the customer if she was serving it shortly after pickup or the following day. I explained the situation, she was understanding. I gave her the bow seperately on the wax paper, and she will put it on before serving.

The photo of the cake is in my pics!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 18 Oct 2008 , 9:49pm
post #9 of 9

If the bow is dry it should be fine. As a matter of fact I have never had a fondant piece collapse after being in the refrigerator.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%