Ri Separates Overnight In Pastry Bag. Happening To You Also?

Baking By TracyLH Updated 12 Oct 2008 , 1:31am by TracyLH

TracyLH Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 12:01pm
post #1 of 15

I am having a problem with my royal icing and am trying to figure out if it happen to everyone else. I put my RI (Antonia 74's recipe) in my pastry bags, do my first layers and go to continue working the next day. However, the RI has started to separate overnight (liquid forming in an area). I sometimes can knead it together in the bag, but often have to take it out, remix in a bowl, pop the bubbles, clean the bag and reload. I am losing tons of time. Does this happen to anyone else or do you not store it overnight in the bags to start with?

14 replies
SweetDreamsAT Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 12:05pm
post #2 of 15

This happens to me too, though not all the time... Maybe it has to do with the consistency of the icing - thick vs. thin??? I'd be curious to see what other people say. Thanks for the great question!

bakinccc Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 12:23pm
post #3 of 15

For me it's happened more with the thinned out icing and darker colors. To prevent this from happening I put it in the fridge still in the bags soon after I'm done for the day. It seems the longer it sits at room temp the more likely your icing will do this. You'll still have to knead it a little but not nearly as much as when you let it sit at room temp. HTH.

yankeegal Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 12:24pm
post #4 of 15

I keep my icing in tupperware containers-small ones for all of the different colors. I use squeeze bottles to flood my cookies, and I find if I leave the icing in them, the icing separates.

Honeydukes Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 1:07pm
post #5 of 15

It's going to separate (eventually.) You should remix/ re-beat the icing to get it back to proper consistency. If it's in a bag you can tie off the end and cap the tip and knead really well.

shiney Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 1:10pm
post #6 of 15

Tracy, my RI usually separates, I use squeeze bottles, so I stick the end of a spoon or a stick in and stir it before my next use. My quite thick stuff doesn't seem to separate.

TracyLH Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 1:23pm
post #7 of 15

Okay, so it looks like it is not just me! I'll try the fridge idea (thanks bakinccc!), bring to room temp and knead as neccessary. I used to do the fridge idea, but stopped and it seemed fine, but not so much any more. I might also be too heavy on my use of coloring as I like deep colors.

Thanks for the affirmation that it wasn't just me! I spent 2 hours the other day unloading, remixing, stirring to get out bubbles, washing bags and tip and finally (!) reloading the 13 colors I was using. I about lost my mind! icon_lol.gif

SweetDreamsAT Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 1:26pm
post #8 of 15

Sounds like the nature of the beast. Thanks from me too for all the input.

antonia74 Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 5:43pm
post #9 of 15

Yes...thinned royal will separate into three distinct layers when left to sit.

Untinted, the top layer is fluffy/spongey/marshmallowy, the middle is a pale yellow runny liquid and the bottom is thick/dense/solid.

I wouldn't store royal icing in bags, intending to use them the next day or two. The separation process will indeed start within this time frame. If you are making it up beforehand, store it in a clean air-tight Tupperware container or even still in the mixing bowl (with a slightly damp tea-towel laid overtop and a plastic grocery bag over the entire bowl to prevent drying/crusting.) The benefit of these storage methods is that you can indeed give it a tiny beating to restore it to the right consistency AND leaving the pre-made thinned icing overnight gets rid of most of those tiny pesky air bubbles in the icing....making it smooth as glass when you do go to use it! icon_biggrin.gif

Kneading the bag won't really get it back to that exact consistensy either. You'll have to give it some good stirring in either the mixer again (less than a minute) or by hand with a spatula/wooden spoon.

My best advice is to just bag it as you are about to pipe it, but not for storing. icon_smile.gif

shadowgypsie Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 7:21pm
post #10 of 15

As a Wilton Instructor I tell my students not to store the royal icing in the bags.

When I went to a training session for us Instructors we were told not to keep the royal icing stored in the bags over night but to put the icing back in it's bowl for storing so that if separation happens we can then mix it back together.

TracyLH Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 9:32pm
post #11 of 15

Oh... I was trying to avoid having to wash more bags, but that looks like I am doing the wrong thing. Thanks for your words of advice! icon_biggrin.gif

KellJ Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 5:03pm
post #12 of 15

why not use the disposable bags? Then you don't have to worry about washing anything, just throw them away and your done!

TracyLH Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 9:11pm
post #13 of 15

Okay, how bad is this... I wash the disposable bags and reuse them. I just go through so many and am trying to stretch them as far as I can. They are disposable... eventually icon_biggrin.gif

shiney Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 10:10pm
post #14 of 15

Tracy, I do the same thing, I wash and reuse bags.....I even wash my gloves.

TracyLH Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 1:31am
post #15 of 15

Good! I am not the only one! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%