First Attempt At Mmf - Question

Baking By Zeunasc Updated 15 Oct 2008 , 1:22am by Ruby2uesday

Zeunasc Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 11:43am
post #1 of 18

I made my first batch of MMF last night. After extracting it from my KA mixing bowl, I kneaded it for a few seconds, then wrapped it in 3 or 4 layers of plastic wrap. This morning I picked it up and noticed it was surprisingly firm. It's not hard throughout... I can squeeze it and it gives, but it is a lot more firm than any of the store bought fondant I have worked with. Is this normal? When I go to work with it, do I just need to knead it a good bit, or maybe work some shortening into it?

17 replies
kden3980 Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 11:56am
post #2 of 18

That happens to me too, and I just pop mine in the microwave for about 10-15 seconds ( depending on you microwaves strength) until it becomes pliable and where its easier for me to kneadicon_wink.gif Hope that helpsicon_wink.gif

mjballinger Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 12:04pm
post #3 of 18

This used to happen to mine all the time. Then I stopped forcing all the powdered sugar in. It just depends on the humidity level in my house, but I usually just mix it until it almost seems right. Then the next day it's not so hard. I do microwave it for a few seconds if it's hard, that softens it up to work with it.

Zeunasc Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 1:56pm
post #4 of 18

Awesome! Thanks for the help. I will definitely be using the micro to soften it up!

calynmom Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 2:17pm
post #5 of 18

Make sure before you wrap it in plastic wrap to give it a generous coating of shortening. This will help keep it soft.

juleskaye518 Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 2:32pm
post #6 of 18

I use the micro every time I use my MMF. "extract"is right too about getting out of the mixer. Don't let it sit at all after you mix it, get it out and get it kneaded. I swear I was wrestling my mmf like a bad dog!!

linedancer Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 4:01pm
post #7 of 18

I make MMF all the time for cookies. I tried using my KA once and decided it was not worth the effort of cleaning it up. I melt my marshmallows in a large glass bowl, adding ingredients according to the recipe (I use Rhonda's Ultimate MMF). I add the powdered sugar (always siffted) in about 3 segments, keeping everything in the bowl, never turning it out onto the counter. I use a large metal spoon to stir the ps in until it is ready to knead. I grease my hands well before starting to knead it, then just keep regreasing when necessary. It is surprising how quickly the fondant works up. This works well for me, one bowl to clean up, I don't grease it or any of my utensils. Just run hot soapy water into the bowl and throw the utensils in, by the time you have your MMF greased, wrapped and bagged up, the bowl and utensils will be ready to wash up. Someone on CC had a thread about doing MMF this way, before the crash. I do not remember who, or I would give them credit. I tried it this way and have never looked back. BTW, I rarely mico my fondant, don't seem to have the need to. I just knead smaller amounts at a time, no more than is comfortable in your hands, of course I always enjoyed making bread because of the kneading, its kind of like therapy for me icon_smile.gif
HTH

Zeunasc Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 12:43pm
post #8 of 18

Thanks for the help everyone! I used my MMF yesterday. The first thing I noticed is that it was WAY to hard and crumbly to use. I tried kneading a small chunk of it for 5 or 6 minutes and it didn't get any better. 10 seconds in the microwave and a little bit of Criso later and it was PERFECT! I followed up by nuking the rest of the batch in small chunks (maybe 4 pieces for the whole batch), kneading in a bit of shortening each time. Then I combined all the pieces, microwaved the whole mass for 10 seconds, kneaded it, rolled it, and covered my cake. IT LOOKS FLAWLESS! Performed better than any commercial fondant I have used. It seems to be "tougher" than the commercial stuff, and stood up to the smoothing process better.

Thank you again for the tips! I would have thrown the MMF in the trash after 5 minutes had I not asked the question!

AmyGonzalez Posted 14 Oct 2008 , 6:33pm
post #9 of 18

linedancer, could you share the MMF recipe, I did a search for it, but nothing. icon_sad.gif

Zeunasc Posted 14 Oct 2008 , 6:57pm
post #10 of 18

http://cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1949-34-Marshmallow-Fondant-MMF.html

This is pretty much the standard recipe as far as I can tell. You can google "marshmallow fondant guide" as well, but all of the recipes you will find are very similar to this one. You can find some great guides with pictures and stuff though.

The only addition I have found is to add some flavoring to the mix (vanilla, butter, almond, etc).

Z

edited - here is a link to Rhonda's Ultimate MMF - http://forum.intotheoven.com/blogs/2sdae/37-rhondas-ultimate-mmf.html

__Jamie__ Posted 14 Oct 2008 , 7:56pm
post #11 of 18

This has been the way to go for me from my very first batch of MMF...I feel no need to alter the directions, ingredients, anything. Perfection everytime. And keep it out of the KA....do it by hand! The KA cannot tell you when it is ready, only your hands can!! icon_smile.gif

http://whatscookingamerica.net/PegW/Fondant.htm

Win Posted 14 Oct 2008 , 8:22pm
post #12 of 18

Jamie, I've used Peggy's MMF forever as well!!! It truly is fail proof. That being said... I've taken the Addendum to Rhonda's Ultimate MMF and added the fresh lemon juice to Peggy's recipe. It just cuts some of the sicky sweet of the MMF.

__Jamie__ Posted 14 Oct 2008 , 8:25pm
post #13 of 18

Ugh...yeah, I am almost done with the "sickly sweetness" of everything I make. Like the buttercream frosting....I wanted to try the meringue BC everybody raves about last night, but was too tired...just whipped up old fashioned BC. NEXT time, I am going to try something new.

So lemon juice...hmmm, I will definitely try that next time! icon_smile.gif

linedancer Posted 14 Oct 2008 , 9:52pm
post #14 of 18

Thanks Zeunasc for posting the into the oven version of Rhonda's Ultimate.

AmyGonzalez - here is the CC link:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-3183-Rhondas-Ultimate-MMF.html

HTH

AmyGonzalez Posted 14 Oct 2008 , 10:08pm
post #15 of 18

Thank you so much guys, It'll be my first time making MMF this weekend. I couldn't do it without you all, hopefully mine will turn out great too! thumbs_up.gif

Zeunasc Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 12:57am
post #16 of 18

Well, that's odd. I searched the recipes for 10 minutes and couldn't find Rhonda's recipe. That's the only reason I went to my friend Google!

tarheelgirl Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 1:08am
post #17 of 18

I use MMF all the time! I make it the day before in batches and put in the fridge for when I need it. I put it in the microwave for a couple seconds or until its at room temp and then knead it with crisco! I never have a problem with it being dry.

Ruby2uesday Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 1:22am
post #18 of 18

thanks ladies. i've been wanting to try MMF and was going to this weekend for some cakes coming up next weekend. I always micro my wiltons fondant so figured i would my MMF too, but i read the doing by hand method! think i'll try that!!! THANKS!!! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%