Make Chocolate Fondant

Decorating By FionaB Updated 10 Oct 2008 , 12:21pm by FionaB

FionaB Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 8:45am
post #1 of 5

Hi I'm from Ireland and can't get ready made chocolate fondant, I have seen a recire but it uses crisco is there an alternative I can get in Ireland?

4 replies
sillyoldpoohbear Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 9:50am
post #2 of 5

I live in England & I think the equivalent to crisco is White Flora or Trex. From what I've been told it's white vegetable fat.

Regalice make chocolate sugarpaste which is very easy to work with. There are other brands but they're not as easy to work with. are stockists in Newcastle but I don't know what their shipping rates are like to Ireland.

banba Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 10:54am
post #3 of 5

Some people make modelling chocolate and use that to cover the cake.

We don't get corn syrup but the golden works fine for this process.

I have bought almost all my supplies from the States but shipping fondant would be a waste of money and very expensive.

I would either mess around with the modelling chocolate recipes or the MMF recipes until you get what your after.

I am intending to mess around with MMF until I get it chocolatey, be a bit of fun if nothing else.

try theses they do regal ice but I have been in the shop and have not seen chocolate.

They are great for boards, drums and boxes and have some dusts but at rip off prices, in my opinion with shipping and all I still saved buying from the states.

If you have relatives in the UK stock them up with stuff you need and get them to bring it over when they are coming to visit although the UK is the biggest rip off at the moment with our Euros and I would shop US everytime or even better go down under, cheaper again but much longer wait.

I always pick the fastest shipping option which is the dearest but I hate waiting. You can ship cheaper if you are prepared to wait longer!

Stay away from the more famous and bigger sugar supply shops in the US they package messy and IMHO their products are more expensive and a bit flimsy.It's easy on these sites to be sucked in by all the things they tell you you need when in reality you don't need half the stuff they are selling, look around the house for stuff you can use in your decorating you might be surprised, HTH!

Hope you get your chocolate fondant and there's recipes in the recipe section here for it.

Also if you are trying out US recipes be aware that our plain/cream flour does indeed have raising agents already added and yes it's supposed to be plain/all purpose flour. If you don't believe me check the ingredients list. The US recipes nearly always use baking powder which struck me as funny as we have self raising flour who needs baking powder. But it's because their plain/all purpose flour really is just that without raising agents. Just be aware of that, you may not need all the baking powder that's called for in a recipe. HTH

banba Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 11:02am
post #4 of 5

sorry forgot to add we don't get white shortening here, I have looked extensively for it and we don't have a substitute for it IMO.

We don't get cake flour and our plain flour it different anyway.

We don't have corn syrup and that might not be a bad thing as it's not good for you. All our sweet product come from sugar beet. Golden syrup works well in some recipes calling for cornsyrup particularly candy recipes as the both preform the same function but are not interchangable in all recipes.

Sorry if I waffle on, just things I have learned and nice to pass on, might save you some of the trouble I had.

FionaB Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 12:21pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks this really helps. Will let you know how it turns out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%