Icing "melting"

Decorating By Jarkolb Updated 10 Oct 2008 , 3:37pm by Boofycakes

Jarkolb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jarkolb Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 2:58am
post #1 of 4

Hello all.....I am brand new here and brand new at cakes. I am having problems getting the icing decorations staying in shape, it is as if the are melting a little. Is it my consistency or the recipe or what? I have been using crisco, water and powdered sugar. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks icon_cry.gif

3 replies
Boofycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Boofycakes Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 3:26am
post #2 of 4

You could start by trying to use less water, or else extra powder sugar. This will stiffen your icing, and your decorations should droop less. You will also need to adjust your icing depending on the temperature, humidity, etc...

wrightway777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wrightway777 Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 4:30am
post #3 of 4

Boofycakes is right plus try adding a little (TBS) meringue powder,that will help too. Amt will depend on volume you are making.

Advice: There are a lot of great buttercream recipes here on CC - experiment! And you will look back on these "just crisco" days as a thing of the past. Learn all about the special flavorings (ie Princess, Butavan, creme bouquet, etc) and emulsions that you can put under your belt as your "trade secret." Trust me you'll thank me later. icon_wink.gif

Boofycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Boofycakes Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 3:37pm
post #4 of 4

I dont mean to steal the spotlight from Jarkolb, but I have hav a question. But I hope this could help Jarkolb also!

Wrightway, What is your personal favorite icing recipe? I myself have been experimenting with some of the different here on CC. Today I made Marshmallow Creme Buttercream. It tastes delicious, but I already know my biggest problem with it when I go to use it will be that it doesn't crust. I would like to find a delicious crusting Buttercream other than the traditional Wilton recipe so many of us start out using.

Unless my icing needs to be snow white, I use an imported vanilla or else an almond extract. I've heard many people on here talk about Princess, and creme bouquets, now can you describe their flavors for us? And where do you get them, online?

Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%