Who's In Alabama??

Decorating By Michelle104 Updated 7 Mar 2009 , 5:17am by arsing1

Cakey1865 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakey1865 Posted 14 Oct 2008 , 10:58am
post #31 of 72

That sounds awesome..there is no cake people here to talk with and ask advice of or swap recipes with or just talk cake with...lol. Like I said we will be coming thru there on the 23rd and coming back thru on the 27th. Let me know when your down ill cook dinner for you guys.
Hope to hear from you soon,
Jodi

Cakey1865 Posted 14 Oct 2008 , 11:02am
post #32 of 72

That sounds awesome..there is no cake people here to talk with and ask advice of or swap recipes with or just talk cake with...lol. Like I said we will be coming thru there on the 23rd and coming back thru on the 27th. Let me know when your down ill cook dinner for you guys.
Jodi

Cakey1865 Posted 14 Oct 2008 , 11:04am
post #33 of 72

Jodi

Michelle104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelle104 Posted 14 Oct 2008 , 1:20pm
post #34 of 72

I'm telling you girls right now that if we move down there I would definitely be interested in meeting you all and talking "cake" and life! I'm gonna need some friends down there and it's just a bonus if we can talk cake too!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

ShellBell69 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShellBell69 Posted 14 Oct 2008 , 8:30pm
post #35 of 72

Sounds good to me. I would love to meet some other cakers.

Let me know if you would be interested in hearing the story of how our "coincidence" pastor came to be. I think I have the CD of the sermon somewhere. Excellent listen.

I think another girl allready mentioned Rick and Bubba. I don't listen to their show but am very familiar with them. Rick's young son drown in their pool almost a year ago and you can find the service on Youtube. Such a Godly man.

Michelle104 Posted 14 Oct 2008 , 11:13pm
post #36 of 72

Yeah....I went to thier website and saw something about tributes to him and stuff but I didn't really have time then follow the links to find out what happened. I know the Lord gives you the grace to get through things whenever you need it and not before. I just can't imagine surviving something like that. Only with God.....

Emmerdoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Emmerdoo Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 2:22am
post #37 of 72

Michelle,

Tis true, Alabama doesn't license home bakeries. The way around this is to declare yourself an "event planner," and to also set yourself up as an LLC (limited liability corporation). This will allow you to have the business license, carry the insurance, but you can also bake out of your home if necessary. I have done this for about 5 years now and I haven't had any problems. Louise's Cakes and Things is my crack. Seriously I get gift certificates from there for birthdays, Christmas, and anniversaries. They are so sweet there and they are definately willing to help you get what you need. Good luck and welcome home! War Eagle

Happy Caking,
Em

Michelle104 Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 9:51pm
post #38 of 72

icon_lol.gif Em!!! I'm crackin up!! Someone else mentioned Louise's to me also. I would love to partake in the "crack" with you! My hubby calls this site my cake crack! He sees me on and say's how's the cake crack today?? LOL!!! I hate this not knowing if we'll move or not. We've been talking about it for about a month and a half but now that he's down there and I'm not I just wish we knew. That way I'd know that we'd soon be together again as a family...... icon_cry.gif

Em, if we do end up down there and things take off for me like they have here I would love to get together and pick your brain about it! icon_lol.gif

Emmerdoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Emmerdoo Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 10:57pm
post #39 of 72

Michelle,

Absolutely! I would be more than happy to sit, chat with you and answer any questions. I know at times like this when you are in this little limbo thing, it gets harder and harder to pray for God's will instead of your own. Just remember, you have people praying for you and His will is perfect. God bless punkin' and Happy Caking!

Em

PS: that is one of the great things about Alabama! If you put "honey, sugar, darlin', baby, punkin'. ro God bless your heart" in front of or behind anything, you can whatever you want...no matter how mean. Example: "You are just as dumb as a brick, God bless your heart."

KASCARLETT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KASCARLETT Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 12:50pm
post #40 of 72

LOLOL Em! That's just about right! hehe

SugarBakerz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakerz Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 1:27pm
post #41 of 72

Well I am down in the SE corner of AL.. near Dothan. Yes now home bakeries licensed here unless it is a separate kitchen, which I have out in my detached garage. I think you will be fine, most alabamians aren't out to get you like other places might have. So do what you can for now and once you get up and going, you can find other avenues. I named my little girl Heleena, people always ask is it after Helena, but it isn't... my grandmother Helen is the real bandit, but it is still neat to have that tie to the state. I grew up in Montgomery. Alabama overall is a great place, but as with any place you have ups and downs. There is for the most part a lot of military in Bama... we have the largest National Guard population in the US.... so there are a lot of transplants, you won't be alone. My roommate in the Navy was from MO icon_smile.gif ANyway, enjoy the state if it comes to that and we will all be awaiting your arrival to team BAMA BAKERS icon_smile.gif Good luck and Godspeed!

juleskaye518 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleskaye518 Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 1:37pm
post #42 of 72

WAR EAGLE!! I'm Julia and I am a transplant living in Auburn, War Eagle, 50 miles east of Montgomery. Our family is military, my DH is in the Navy and for the time, is teaching Naval leadership at Auburn. War Eagle. My only complaint about AL is that is it too conservative for my taste. BUT I've never been bored here in what I would consider small town USA. Calara is a fine town. I've been there a couple of times. They have a great railroad history and it is just a neat town. We came from a huge city, Honolulu, and I thought I would have a hard time here in Auburn, War Eagle, but have really had a great time. Let us know what your family's final decision is, you have a welcome party already lined up!!

Michelle104 Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 7:22pm
post #43 of 72

Thank you guys so much! icon_lol.gif I have a flight down to meet hubby next friday. Then on saturday we're going to look at some houses and work on getting pre-approved for a home loan just so we know where we stand. His boss will be down there next week and they'll have their meetings and figure things out, so hopefully by next weekend we'll be more sure in which direction we're going......Ok, now the important matters....what's War Eagle????? A few people have said that but there isn't any ellaboration so that tells me that you guys have some inside info! Spill it!! LOL! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

juleskaye518 Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 8:04pm
post #44 of 72

War Eagle is what Auburn University fans say for a few reasons. You can say it as a hello to each other, and in fact if you hear a person say it to you you have to say it back. It is considered good manners. At the football game that is what we yell when a player kicksoff. It is like saying "Go Auburn."

Michelle104 Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 9:50pm
post #45 of 72

Ok! So obviously you live in Auburn so that's your side. How do you choose a side?????? Pretty big rivalry huh? icon_lol.gif

kbgieger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbgieger Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 1:26am
post #46 of 72

Hi everyone - I'm down in Mobile. I'm originally from MS, but went to school here then found a job here then dragged my DH here and now here I am with 2 kids, 2 jobs and doing cakes for fun!

I'm not really big into college ball; my school (USA) didn't even have a team when I graduated! You can always select a team based on school colors - do you like red and white (Alabama) or blue and orange (Auburn)?

My almost 5yr old son loves his Auburn hat because it's orange. But he also likes his sister's Alabama hat because it has an "A" on it. (My husband won both hats at an office function).

I think you'll do just fine here. But be sure to get down to the coast to enjoy the great beaches and the fantastic seafood!!!!

Michelle104 Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 1:37am
post #47 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbgieger

Hi everyone - I'm down in Mobile. I'm originally from MS, but went to school here then found a job here then dragged my DH here and now here I am with 2 kids, 2 jobs and doing cakes for fun!

I'm not really big into college ball; my school (USA) didn't even have a team when I graduated! You can always select a team based on school colors - do you like red and white (Alabama) or blue and orange (Auburn)?

My almost 5yr old son loves his Auburn hat because it's orange. But he also likes his sister's Alabama hat because it has an "A" on it. (My husband won both hats at an office function).

I think you'll do just fine here. But be sure to get down to the coast to enjoy the great beaches and the fantastic seafood!!!!

LOL!! I love red and white!! I think I could accent just about everything with a little bit of red! icon_lol.gif And the coast and beaches sound fantastic...but especially the seafood! I LOVE me some seafood!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

CakesByJen2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByJen2 Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 3:37am
post #48 of 72

I am actually in Alabama at the moment, on vacation in Gulf Shores. It is gorgeous down here! Beautiful white sand beaches, and now, in the off-season it is very affordable and hardly anybody here, so you almost have the beach to yourselves! This is our third vacation down here at we absolutely love it. Years ago, we lived in Tuscaloosa for a couple of years for grad school and liked it, though the culture is a little different from the more mid-western areas like Missouri and Kentucky, where we are from and now living again.

Oh, and ROLL TIDE!!!!!!

Michelle104 Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 12:35pm
post #49 of 72

Ok Jen! You need to elaborate for me on the cultural differences....I'm in Mo as well and have been here all my life. You can pm me if you want. icon_lol.gif The beaches sound so beautiful. What about hurricanes there????

SugarBakerz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakerz Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 12:52pm
post #50 of 72

hurricanes are still a possibility in BAMA yes... mostly the storms they bring, but there has been damage to Southern AL in the past. Up near Calera where you are talking about moving you should be fine. Where I live, that is a different story. Evacuations in AL have happened more than once in the last 10 years, but hey when you consider the beach is only a few hundred miles, it is worth it... I promise you that you will love the white sandy beaches... it is so soft! I am working on a photo for you to view... hold that thought icon_smile.gif

diamond008 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamond008 Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 1:16pm
post #51 of 72

HI Michelle, I live in Hoover, Alabama (my husband says in the back door of the Riverchase Galleria). You will have to visit Louises Cakes and Things that's where I took my cake decorating classes. Ms Louise is a very sweet little lady, if you haven't taken a gum paste class on making flowers she's the one to teach you. Here in Alabama it's football all the way, either BAMA or the other team. Great place to raise your children, there's lots of fun places to take them. The beach, zoo, museums, etc. Good luck..............ROLL TIDE>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

juleskaye518 Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 1:24pm
post #52 of 72

Ok Ok, the football choice is easy Michelle. Auburn (War Eagle, orange and blue) has beat Alabama for the last 6 years!! There is just no question in my mind!!

kathrynscakesncookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathrynscakesncookies Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 1:34pm
post #53 of 72

Howdy Ya'll....I'm from AL I live in Florence now but grew up in Evergreen in Lower AL , then moved to Russellville when I was around 10.

Michelle104 Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 2:43pm
post #54 of 72

I can't remember if I already told you guys this or not but I made my plane reservations for next fri morning. On saturday we're going to look at a bunch of houses. Some of them are in Hoover! icon_lol.gif

How long does it take to pick a side??? icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

What sort of classes does Louise offer? I'm so excited to see this place! You ALL have no idea what a blessing you are to me!! The more I hear from you the more excited I get about things!! icon_lol.gif I think next weekend we'll have to make a stop at Louise's! icon_razz.gif What are her hours and can you give me directions??? icon_rolleyes.gif

knel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knel Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 2:59pm
post #55 of 72

Here is Louise's site. She had a store in the Center Point area for YEARS. My mom used to buy cakes from her when I was just a wee tot... I didn't realize until a year ago that it was the same Louise. Her store is FABULOUS!

http://www.cakes-n-things.com/wedding.html

And oh, by the way... a big ROLL TIDE to ya! We are on a roll this year! Bama is HOT!!!!!!

kimblyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimblyd Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 3:10pm
post #56 of 72

Hi Michelle!

I'm Kim and I live in Tuscaloosa (45 minutes from Birmingham and the Galleria!) Tuscaloosa is the home of the Crimson Tide (Alabama football and the U of A). Yes, I am a Bama fan, it is a requirement.

Currently, we are in Disney World in Orlando and I am typing on my husband's laptop and having a really tough time.

I just wanted to tell you that my husband is in sales and travels the areas you mentioned a lot. He may have some more advice to offer, particularly concerning schools in the area. Now is a good time to visit cities when school is in session. A good school will be happy to show you around and answer any questions you have.

If you want to pm me I will be glad to get him to answer (or find out) whatever we can. We will be home Sunday and I will be back to my decent computer!

Good luck!

Kim

tara22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tara22 Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 3:17pm
post #57 of 72

wow, I didn't realize there were so many of us "alabamians" on here. we should start a group. Let me just say WAR EAGLE! To be honest Michelle, it's too late to chose. Down here you are bred this way, whether or not you will be an alabama or an auburn fan is usaully instilled in you by your parents. I recently did a houndstooth hat cake ( you will realize the significance of this later) and all of my fellow Auburn fans were appalled that i had gone to the "other side". Definitly go to a football game at each campus and you will know where you belong!
welocome to alabama! I'm sure you will love it here. I live just to the east of mobile. you should def bring the kids to the coast, and if you are looking for a quaint little town on the bay to relax....check out fairhope.
Once again, welcome Michelle.

Michelle104 Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 4:57pm
post #58 of 72

What's the galleria? A mall? icon_confused.gif I checked out Louise's website. She has beautiful cakes! Thanks for sharing the link!! icon_lol.gif K! I have some ???? Who's been to Calera? The agent that I've been talking with sent me some homes to look at there. Hubby got down there last sat and drove around some over the weekend to familiarize himself a little. Anyway, he said the Calera that he saw was sort of a run down looking little town. Is he in the right place? Are there different parts of it? I really like a couple of the houses that she sent me from there but I need some inside info!!! icon_lol.gif You know I haven't really met you guys but I feel like I have "friends" in Al already!!!! icon_lol.gif Thanks so much for that! {{{{{hugs}}}}}}

NikNicole Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NikNicole Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 5:07pm
post #59 of 72

Hi Michelle,
I'm Nikki from Troy, but my husband and I are desperately trying to get moved to the B'ham area. (so if anyone knows of any jobs up in that area, please let me know!). It's a beautiful area up there, plenty to do and see. I'm attaching a few links that I thought might be helpful. Good luck with whatever ya'll decided to do!

http://www.al.com/
http://cakes-n-things.com/
http://www.cityofcalera.org/

Hope this helps!
Nikki
http://picklespastries.blogspot.com/

NikNicole Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NikNicole Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 5:08pm
post #60 of 72

Hi Michelle,
I'm Nikki from Troy, but my husband and I are desperately trying to get moved to the B'ham area. (so if anyone knows of any jobs up in that area, please let me know!). It's a beautiful area up there, plenty to do and see. I'm attaching a few links that I thought might be helpful. Good luck with whatever ya'll decided to do!

http://www.al.com/
http://cakes-n-things.com/
http://www.cityofcalera.org/

Hope this helps!
Nikki
http://picklespastries.blogspot.com/

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%