Anyone Tried Receipes From Colette Peter's Books?

Decorating By crouton800 Updated 22 Aug 2005 , 7:32pm by Calejo

crouton800 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crouton800 Posted 15 Aug 2005 , 5:30am
post #1 of 13

Hi!
Has anyone tried the receipes from Colette Peter's books? I've been trying to find a white or yellow cake (for wedding or tiered cakes) and I just made the "Heavenly White Cake- tried the lemon version" from her book "Cakes to Dream On". It came out really dense and I would like to know if anyone else has tried this or making other receipes from her book. It was so dense that it almost tasted "doughy" but i'm sure it's cooked. I've been trying plain cake receipes and a lot of them turn out dense.

I'd like to hear what others think about dense cakes because where i'm from all the bakeries seems to sell mainly sponge cakes.

Thanks!

12 replies
Niki027 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Niki027 Posted 15 Aug 2005 , 1:02pm
post #2 of 13

That's too bad. I asked for this book for my birthday and will be trying some of her recipes.

It would be great if we knew which recipes worked and which didn't. You're probably afraid to try another now.

Tuggy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tuggy Posted 15 Aug 2005 , 5:12pm
post #3 of 13

I´ve tried her chocolate cake and it was super delicious and good to use for decoration. I never tried the other recepies but this one is really great IMO.

eve Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eve Posted 15 Aug 2005 , 6:03pm
post #4 of 13

icon_smile.gif I've tried her Chocolate Bourbon Cake...It is dence but very moist..very , very good....

bikegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bikegal Posted 15 Aug 2005 , 7:43pm
post #5 of 13

I remember reading somewhere that her cakes are dense because the majority of her work is with fondant. Other cakes wouldn't hold up as well with all that fondant weight.

Peachez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peachez Posted 15 Aug 2005 , 7:54pm
post #6 of 13

I've tried "Colette's Chocolate Cake" from her book Colette's Cakes : The Art of Cake Decorating. I HATE chocolate cake and I LOVED this one. It's so moist and delish! Her white cake in this book is good too! You don't even have to buy the book to get the recipe. If you go on Amazon.com and look at the little preview that they give you both recipes are right there. I think, if I'm remembering correctly, that you can also see her recipe for buttercream icing...which is also pretty yummy.

Niki027 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Niki027 Posted 15 Aug 2005 , 7:58pm
post #7 of 13

Thanks Peachz!

I am planning to make the white cake this weekend. I'll post my results if anyone is interested?

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 16 Aug 2005 , 7:30pm
post #8 of 13

I've done her Chocolate Cake (two thumbs up) and Chocolate Bourbon Cake (ehhhh...probably wouldn't do it again).

Niki, do please post your results. icon_smile.gif

~ Sherri

talmas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
talmas Posted 22 Aug 2005 , 4:30pm
post #9 of 13

I tried her Heavenly White Cake this weekend. I have been getting rave reviews today at work. I had just a regular chocolate box mix for my top layer, oreo filling using marshmallow cream, and her cake at the bottom. I used a non crusting creamy buttercream. Everyone loved the mix of flavor. The Heavenly White Cake has a caramel flavor. Her cake is very dense. It was strange pouring it into the pan. My husband and I thought I did something wrong. It was like pouring water in a pan it was so thin. It cooked beautifully and it is really easy to work with.

Daniela Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daniela Posted 22 Aug 2005 , 4:37pm
post #10 of 13

They sound delicious!! She must be really good at making cakes because everyone's always talking about her.

Daniela

eve Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eve Posted 22 Aug 2005 , 4:55pm
post #11 of 13

icon_smile.gif I've tired her Bourbon Chocolate cake..this is the recipe I used for the CA STate Fair Cake Competition las tweek where I got a Blue Ribbon-First place and Best Of CLass award, Best Of Show award and Best of Division award..The contest was on taste, texture, crumb, flavor and overall..and it didn't have to be original..
try it ..it is is juts delicious

ashianadotkom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashianadotkom Posted 22 Aug 2005 , 7:20pm
post #12 of 13

Hey eve
I had a question..did they know the cake was someone elses recipe
And is this not illegal
Not to put you on the spot or anything
I always wondered about this
By the way congratulations

Thank you
AShiana

Calejo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Calejo Posted 22 Aug 2005 , 7:32pm
post #13 of 13

I love her fondant recipe. It tastes decent (especially when compared with Wilton fondant tapedshut.gif ) and my husband (very hard to please when it comes to anything sweet) likes it too!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%