Sugar Free Or Low Sugar Cakes

Decorating By selecia Updated 15 Oct 2008 , 5:00pm by jenny518

selecia Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 1:22am
post #1 of 4

I am facing a delima. I love to bake my cakes and desserts and want to share them with my fellow teachers and students at work. However, our school has a "no sweets" only healthy foods policy. Are there any recipes for cakes that hardly use any sugar (or maybe it's the icing) can anyone share with me where I can find some healthy - yet attractive snacks to share with second graders?

3 replies
SweetLisa Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 3:17pm
post #2 of 4

I think it would be hard to make a cake completely without sugar, but when I was doing Weight Watchers, one of the recommended ways to get a lower sugar cake was to use a regular cake mix, but mix it with a can of diet soda and 2 egg whites, then bake it as usual. You can mix and match flavors to get the taste that you want, for example, chocolate cake with diet cherry cola, or white cake with diet peach soda or ginger ale. Because there is minimal fat in this combination, the cake or cupcakes will probably be crumblier than what you would normally bake, but they taste great, and the kids won't mind.
Here is a recipe for a sugar free frosting: In a medium bowl, mix 1 package (1.4 oz.) sugar-free instant pudding mix with 1 3/4 cup milk, let stand until thickened. In a large bowl, beat 1 (8 oz.) package softened cream cheese until smooth. Add pudding mix and mix well. Fold in 1 (8 oz.) container lite frozen whipped topping, thawed. This is best served within a few hours; it will separate if left overnight in the fridge. Again, not a recipe for cake decorators, but it tastes good, is sugar-free, and the kids will like it. I hope this helps icon_smile.gif

7yyrt Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 4:34pm
post #3 of 4

You might try the Cupcakes aren't nutritional?!? thread. -

jenny518 Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 5:00pm
post #4 of 4

I made a scratch cake with Splenda (just sub the sugar w/ it) and my icing was Swiss Merengue B.C. with Splenda instead of sugar. It is heavenly! If they don't mind the fat from the butter, then it is a great alternative. I wish people knew that fat DOES NOT raise insulin levels, only sugar does. I have also made low carb cakes with a product called CarbQuik and it turned out good, too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%