Gum Paste Cutters, Books, Etc

Decorating By jolmk Updated 10 Oct 2008 , 2:31pm by SugaredUp

jolmk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jolmk Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 11:45pm
post #1 of 9

There are so many to choose from ( Sunflower, FMM, PME), are some better than others? I have a cake at the end of the month that I have to buy cutters, etc.(Yeah Toys!). I want to make sure and get good ones. I have all ready picked out a few dvd's by Nicholas Lodge, has anyone used these? Are the dvd's better than the books?

TIA

Jo

8 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 11:53pm
post #2 of 9

Dvd's are nice so you can see what's going on.

If you have no gum paste tools I'd suggest that you get the inexpensive Wilton set for starters. Then buy what you like. There's none necessarily better than the other. The plunger type cutters are very nice because they help you go faster. The plunger type cutters that are already testured are even nicer because you can cut and texture at the same time.

I like the old Wilton green cutters because they have cushioned/rounded tops so you don't have to sacrifice your fingers if you are using one cutter a lot.

A nice metal ball tool is nice. Wilton's is plastic so a metal one is a plus to have to start with. You'll need some brushes, paint brushes. You need all kinds of stuff--so much fun.

Those cel formers are really nice. Like think if you were making a rose, where would you put it to dry? If you don't get the cel formers at first you can set a rose in a bagel or donut or in a cup or in a roll of foil.

Gum paste tool starter thoughts for you.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 12:21am
post #3 of 9

Yah what she ^^^^^ saidicon_smile.gif

I suggest DVD's also. Much better than books. SugarShack's; Jennifer MI is another one; Nic Lodge is terrific..... Personally I'd stay away from Scott Woolley(sp?)....very expensive....these others are just as good.

Kim_in_CajunCountry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kim_in_CajunCountry Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 12:43am
post #4 of 9

I'm VERY new to gumpaste and fondant but I've already decided that I prefer metal cutters over plastic. I find that the plastic cutters don't give you a nice clean edge. Instead you get little frays.

If I'm doing something wrong or there's a secret, please let me know!

Good luck with your project. Don't you just love excuses to buy new toys?!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 12:49am
post #5 of 9

Agreed, I like the DVDs -- I have Scott's and they are good but VERY pricey. Nick Lodge's DVDs are good for beginners and more advanced and you learn sooo much from him. Michelle Foster has a DVD out with just a couple of flowers and she's here on CC. As far as the tools, I too prefer the metal cutters. You will notice that you will get a better cut from a metal cutter on a vinyl mat than you will on the hard celboards. There's a time and a place for the cel boards, but if you're using the metal cutters you are better off using a vinyl placemat. Cut, press down and jiggle slightly to get a clean cut. Good luck with your cake!! icon_biggrin.gif

Bossy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bossy Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 1:04am
post #6 of 9

I started with a set of Wilton Plastic tools, book, cutters that a got for $2. And now I have metal/acrylic tools and they are much much easier to work with. I thought at first I was just badd at gumpaste, but it was the tools and gumpaste, not me! I already banished the plastic Dredin tool, it eats fondant and gumpaste icon_sad.gif. I also recommend N. Lodges gumpaste recipe, it will save you a lot of frustration.

SugaredUp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugaredUp Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 1:10am
post #7 of 9

I just ordered the Cattelya (sp?) orchid veiner and cutters from Scott! I hope I didn't overpay. Or are you talking mainly about his books and dvds? I can't wait to try my orchid!

SOOO exciting!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 1:13am
post #8 of 9

Scott's tools are top of the line. They cost more but are very well worth it. His DVDs are extremely expensive but I like them too. If you are just beginning you might consider Nick Lodge's videos instead.

SugaredUp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugaredUp Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 2:31pm
post #9 of 9

Thanks, Bobwonderbuns. I'm actually going to try to do it off a tutorial in ACD magazine. It looks like it's explained very well. If I have problems from there, I might invest in a dvd or book.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%