Decorating Dummy Cakes

Decorating By __Jamie__ Updated 26 Oct 2008 , 3:30pm by __Jamie__

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 10:07pm
post #1 of 11

Anyone have links to good advice about decorating dummy cakes? Like whether or not you seal the fondant, do you use real buttercream under the fondant, and since no one is going to eat the dummy, is there a preference of premade fondant to use? Can you make cakes way ahead of time, and still have the fondant and decorations look fresh?

I have way too many questions. Maybe someone has a website or someone who knows about decorating dummies. Decorating dummies for dummy's...lol.

10 replies
Eisskween Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eisskween Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 10:41pm
post #2 of 11

I was told to lightly spray the styrofoam form with water and lay your fondant on. No, it shouldn't matter what kind you use because no one will be eating it. And I don't know about sealing it. I haven't made one myself yet, but if I were to do it, I would want to use a spray sealant, to keep the elements out.

HTH Enjoy your day! icon_biggrin.gif

jenbakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenbakescakes Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 10:42pm
post #3 of 11

I don't have a website for you but I usually use a crisco based bc underneath (without any flavoring or anything) then I use Wilton fondant, (I like the way it handles and since no one will eat it...) I have also used MMF though. You can make cakes ahead of time, but beware that colors do fade!! Especially pink for some reason. I have my cakes from last years state fair and they look pretty good except the black and pink one has faded a lot. Also fondant and gumpaste decorations absorb moisture, so keep that in mind! I made a gumpaste moon for the state fair (pic is in my photos) and we had a lovely tropical storm come through and it absorbed so much moisture that it wouldn't stand through judging. When you go to attach the tiers to one another, I just use either a hot glue gun or super glue. Hope some of this helps. I love doing dummy cakes, they are so much easier!

mgdsue02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdsue02 Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 10:51pm
post #4 of 11

I decorate dummies with either fondant or buttercream. If I use fondant I lightly mist the Styrofoam with water and the fondant sticks. I use the Wilton fondant since no one is eating it. I save the good stuff for real cakes. If using buttercream, I just frost the Styrofoam.The buttercream will wash off with hot water and soap. You can make dummy cakes up way in advance of needing them and they should stay looking fine. Hope this helps. icon_smile.gif

tiersfromheaven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiersfromheaven Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 12:56am
post #5 of 11

Wilton for dummy cakes all the way! Especially because you can get it cheap at Michael's with a coupon. I stock up!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 1:08am
post #6 of 11

I use a thin layer of piping gel on the dummy then cover with Wilton fondant (that's the only thing it's good for.) Cheap, easy, washes off nicely.

__Jamie__ Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 8:24pm
post #7 of 11

Wow...thanks for the replies guys, I wasn't getting notice when you guys posted replies, just happened to come across this thread again. icon_redface.gif
Lots of good advice, thanks!

__Jamie__ Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 8:27pm
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiersfromheaven

Wilton for dummy cakes all the way! Especially because you can get it cheap at Michael's with a coupon. I stock up!

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif Heck yeah! 40% coupon every Sunday...gotta start saving those for SURE!

tamrick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tamrick Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 9:12pm
post #9 of 11

Where are you getting the 40o/o coupon from?

jessfmaldonado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessfmaldonado Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 11:22pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamrick

Where are you getting the 40o/o coupon from?

If you sign up with Michael's and Joann's on their websites, they send you coupons all the time. Joann's sends more than Michael's. I just print out a whole bunch and use them all week!

Jessica icon_smile.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 3:30pm
post #11 of 11

Not only do they send coupons in the mail, but they come out every Sunday in the newspaper where I'm from!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%