Which Icing Would You Suggest?

Baking By missmersh Updated 9 Oct 2008 , 11:53pm by missmersh

missmersh Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 9:44pm
post #1 of 5

Hi all,
I am making and donating alot of icing for a 'cookie decorating booth' at a fundraiser for a little girl who has cancer.

The fundraisers are asking for sugar cookie donations from Costco/Kroger, so you know they aren't going to be the same as sugar cookies from home.

I am donating the icing that the children will use to decorate the cookies, but do not know which icing would be the best to donate...buttercream or royal icing. I usually use royal icing to decorate my cookies and thought that it would be better because it isn't greasy like BC and isn't 'shortening' based.
However, given the cookies they are going to be decorating would you suggest using buttercream for the taste?

If you were donating icing...which would you choose?

Thank you!!
missmersh

4 replies
JoAnnB Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 11:17pm
post #2 of 5

I would suggest buttercream for several reasons,
It won't dry out in the containers while the kids a messing around
It tastes much better
The cookies won't dry to safely package, in any case, so bc is easier.

You can also make it ahead, without much worry about having to rebeat it.

Bossy Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 11:35pm
post #3 of 5

I think JoAnnB is correct! The buttercream is less liquid which = less messsy for little hands to get on the cookie.

Kitagrl Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 11:40pm
post #4 of 5

Yeah anyway the royal tends to dry out in the decorating bags, and clog....

How sweet of you! No pun intended.... icon_wink.gif

missmersh Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 11:53pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you ladies! I was leaning towards buttercream, for taste, but thought the royal would be easier to clean up (since it isn't as greasy).

They aren't going to be messing with decorator bags...just kinda spooning it on from bowls and then using sprinkles and candies. So, I guess buttercream would be better/easier for them to work with and taste better.

The 'drying out' factor totally slipped my mind....that makes the decision a bit more clear. icon_smile.gif

I truly appreciate all of your comments!!! icon_smile.gif

Thank you!
missmersh

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%