Ganache Under Fondant?

Decorating By mndy204 Updated 13 Oct 2008 , 2:51am by FromScratch

mndy204 Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 2:32pm
post #1 of 3

I'm making a chocolatey surprise birthday cake and I'm thinking of making it look like a present with ribbons and a bow. My question is, can I pour ganache over the cake then cover it in fondant? Or should I do something different? I've never covered a cake (only cupcakes) in ganache and I have never covered a cake in fondant either. I was just going to use this as a practice everything I want to practice cake and hope for the best... icon_eek.gif

The other thing I wondered about was covering the cake in ganache then putting the fondant bow and ribbons on as accents. I'm just not sure if they work together well. icon_redface.gif

Thank you in advance for any and all help!!

2 replies
SouthernSugar Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 2:37am
post #2 of 3

I have put fondant over whipped ganache (yummy) but never over poured so I cant tell you if it would work or not but giving you a bump.

FromScratch Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 2:51am
post #3 of 3

WHat you can do is to let your ganache set up and then use it like you would buttercream. Spread it on and smooth it and then lay on your fondant. I have done this many times. It lets you get a SUPER sharp edge too. Just be careful to not get any of your ganache on the outside of the fondant. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%