Attempting My First Topsy-Turvy Cake - Any Tips To Offer?

Decorating By missmeg Updated 3 Dec 2008 , 4:25pm by cakebaker1957

missmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmeg Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 2:28pm
post #1 of 4

I let myself be talked into doing a topsy-turvy cake for an order due at the end of the month. It's a Halloween-themed birthday for twin 4-yo boys. It will be just 2 tiers.

I don't plan on shaving the sides of my cake, just the top at an angle. I printed out the instructions here on CC, but was hoping some experts had some suggestions / tips they could share with me so I don't mess this up?

It will be covered in bc with fondant / gp decorations, as well as bc decorations.

Thanks!

3 replies
diamondsonblackvelvet13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 3:15pm
post #2 of 4

After the first (and only) one I have done, the only advice I have to offer is get some good rest and then tackle it. Take your time with it. The instructions are a dream so you'll have no problem there.
I can't wait to see a pic!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 4:14pm
post #3 of 4

I followed those instructions for my first and I continue to use them for all of my topsy turvy cakes!!! The directions are great and they work! I think it looks nicer with the sides shaved down but I guess it's not a MUST...gives it a more tipsy appearance though.
My advice to you is give yourself at least 5 hrs. more than you think you'll need. The first one I made turned out alright, but I spent hrs just trying to get the frosting perfectlly smooth lol Now I can crank the whole cake out in a couple hrs.!

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 4:25pm
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondsonblackvelvet13

After the first (and only) one I have done, the only advice I have to offer is get some good rest and then tackle it. Take your time with it. The instructions are a dream so you'll have no problem there.
I can't wait to see a pic!

Hope you get this mess, where are the instructions for the topsy turvy cakes at?/ im to do one on the 20th of Dec
Thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%