Need Help Decorating Cakes For "taking Woodstock"

Decorating By Robertbakewell Updated 15 Oct 2008 , 12:08pm by janelwaters

Robertbakewell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Robertbakewell Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 12:27pm
post #1 of 6

It's been exciting making cakes and pastries for the film crew of "Taking Woodstock"..yesterday was the last day of filming for the lead...the guy who was in the movie "Into The Wild" about alaska, i think sean penn produced that one....anyway...they are wrapping up and need cakes for the next few days....that actor Liev Shriever...i think that is how you spell it...is tomorrow...and they want tye dye effects ....peace signs are easy but i have never used that airbrush machine we got over the summer....anyone have any quick tips or ideas for these Woodstock cakes....ps if you watch the movie those bundt cakes{they wanted oldfashioned retro looking cakes in the general store } they are ours!!!
thanks for your help...!

icon_smile.gif ][/b]

5 replies
GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 11:49am
post #2 of 6

Can the cakes be decorated with cookies that have been decorated with the tye dye? You could get the t-shirt cutter and really go to town! Bake them on sticks and push them into the cake. I've also done a cake where the peace sign was drawn on the round cake top, then filled in with different colors in a rainbow effect. It wasn't tye dye, but it looked nice. Good luck with whatever you come up with! Be sure to post pictures!

janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 12:06pm
post #3 of 6

Can you streak some gel colors into white fondant and then twist and pull the fondant until you get that tye dye look?

Or take chunks of colored fondant and do the same - twist and pull until it looks right?

Robertbakewell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Robertbakewell Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 2:50am
post #4 of 6

I took both your ideas....i made tshirt cookies....and peace signs..decorated with royal icing with multi colors i swirled..and i also mixed the color in thefondant and swirled it...it came out amazing....!
I am thankful for your help. Everyone loved the cakes ..including the director. Look for the movie and my bundt cakes by the way. everything else they eat off set. thanks again!

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 11:34am
post #5 of 6

Oh, man! No pictures? It sounds like it was a great cake and I'm bummed that we don't get to see it. I'm glad you were able to use the cookie idea (I'm partial to cookies!). And the swirled colors in the fondant sounds cool!

janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 12:08pm
post #6 of 6

I WANT PICTURES!!! please please please post some pics......

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%