Does Anyone's Black Royal Icing Not Bleed After 2-3 Days?

Baking By TracyLH Updated 10 Oct 2008 , 9:07pm by TracyLH

TracyLH Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 11:23am
post #1 of 13

I am using Antonia74's RI and love it, but am having some bleeding with my black outline after 2 -3 days. I use a #1 tip (so it's not too thick), let it dry 24 hours before flooding and it is not humid right now. I realized most cookies are just eaten up quickly, so the look of bleeding wouldn't be an issue, but when I ship them, it then is a problem due to the extra days in shipping time before they are seen.

Does anyone's black not bleed? Any help would be SO sincerely appreciated!

12 replies
GeminiRJ Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 11:58am
post #2 of 13

I don't use RI, but Toba's Glace, and I've never had a problem with the black bleeding. Granted, I usually only use it for outlining, and it's pretty thin. If I remember from other posts you use Americolor, which is what I use, so I doubt the problem lies there. I know how frustrating this must be for you. Your cookies are so-o-o nice! Maybe someone else will have the magic answer.

TracyLH Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 2:23pm
post #3 of 13

GeminiRJ - Thanks for the help and for your nice comment! I have admired your work and ideas and it means a lot that you even know who I am in our little cookie world. icon_biggrin.gif

GeminiRJ Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 3:40pm
post #4 of 13

I can't say that I helped all that much! I just could relate to your frustration. And I noticed your cookies right away, and have more than one of them in my favorites!

TracyLH Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 4:58pm
post #5 of 13

That is really nice to hear! I have been busy working on more designs and hope to post them soon. Joining CC has been great as it is so wonderful to be able to ask others questions like this and to get encouagement from cookie designers like you!

TracyLH Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 4:59pm
post #6 of 13

That is really nice to hear! I have been busy working on more designs and hope to post them soon. Joining CC has been great as it is so wonderful to be able to ask others questions like this and to get encouagement from cookie designers like you!

yankeegal Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 2:02am
post #7 of 13

Tracy-maybe you are adding too much food color to the icing? If you make it the day before you need it, and don't color it to a black/black-instead make it a deep grey and let it "deepen" overnight. That may help with any bleeding issues.

shadowgypsie Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 2:49am
post #8 of 13

I don't have any problem with black royal icing bleeding on my cookies. I have used antonia74's recipe as well as the Wilton royal icing recipe. I do how ever make my icing rather stiff for outlining and then let set a while before filling in.

TracyLH Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 11:38am
post #9 of 13

Thanks yankeegal and shadowgypsie! It must be that I am adding too much black. I color it and let it deepen overnight, but I must be adding too much to start with. I will give it another whirl!

SweetDreamsAT Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 1:22pm
post #10 of 13

Tracy - A way I use less black in my black icing is to first add some cocoa powder and a bit of brown food color. Then just enough black to make it look like a dark "muddy" black color, then let it sit overnight.
By the way, I can't wait to see your new cookies. I can tell by all your recent posts that you have been BUSY in the kitchen icon_smile.gif

TracyLH Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 1:27pm
post #11 of 13

Thanks SweetDreamsAT! I hadn't thought about adding cocoa powder! I did add brown first, but will do so more, use the cocoa and just get it to the dark 'muddy' color you mentioned. I tended to be too heavy-handed with the black - even though I let it sit overnight. I will tell myself, "Back away from the Americolor" as much as I love to keep adding it. Thanks for your help!

Oh, yes, very busy in the kitchen! I should be ready to post soon! icon_biggrin.gif

shiney Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 4:53pm
post #12 of 13

Tracy, I just started using americolor black, and always forget how strong it is, so I've ended up with black-black and wasted too much of my americolor black Aaaaug! And cocoa powder is great to use, and tastes great (if you don't use too much)

TracyLH Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 9:07pm
post #13 of 13

Thanks, Shiney! I have been doing a lot of outlining lately and had been fine with bleeding not occuring, but it started to creep out with my last cookie. I just didn't want to make the same mistake before starting Halloween cookies to send off. I see what I did wrong and how to prevent it, which is a huge relief!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%