How Do You All Make Your Fondant Perfect?

Decorating By berryblondeboys Updated 9 Oct 2008 , 6:04pm by mlharvell

berryblondeboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
berryblondeboys Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 4:56am
post #1 of 7

I was so careful and it has dips and curves and then when I put the dowl through it all, it got a bit bulgy... I'm so MAD!!!!

How do you all DO that? Nice and crisp and PERFECTLY smooth!!! WAH!

I haven't finshed the cake yet, it's just stacked and doweled, so I have to decorate tomorrow. Right now it looks like two little snowmen made with HUGE marshmallows sitting on my counters (nake cakes on cake plates look BAD!)

I bow to you oh great fondant people!

Melissa

6 replies
panchanewjersey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
panchanewjersey Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 5:13am
post #2 of 7

I ask myself the same question. It's a hard thing to do. One thing I did learn from trial & error is that if your crumb coat is crappy and not smooth it reflects on your fondant no matter how thick it is. Maybe that could be your problem or maybe you have to keep smoothing it out.

Eisskween Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eisskween Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 5:18am
post #3 of 7

Wilton has a plastic fondant smoother that works great! You dust the fondant after it's on the cake with a dusting pouch that is 1/2 PS and 1/2 CS then smooth it down. Take a corsage pin and poke holes where you have any bubbles to let the air out. Other than that, don't rush, it takes patience. icon_biggrin.gif

Enjoy your evening! icon_smile.gif

SharonK1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SharonK1973 Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 5:19am
post #4 of 7

I do a lot of work with fondant and have never really had this happen. I think itmught be because I always let the cakes sit for at least 5 hours after I crumb coat and/or frost them before I put on the fondant to give time for settling. I also use a very stiff icing dam for my filling so it can ease out under the pressure of the dowel being pushed in. Hope this helps somewhat.

For smoothness, try to make sure the fondant is not too stiff or dry. Just nice and pliable to stretch away any creases and wrinkles.

berryblondeboys Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 11:44am
post #5 of 7

These are all good suggestions. My crumb coat was good and this morning it doesn't seem as bad to me as last night, but now I'll know for NExT time to let it "settle" before applying and to use a pin for trapped air bubbles.

I don't have any creases or folds - that part I get how to do, but getting the top and sides to be FLAT and without indentations is tricky. I didn't have this problem on larger cakes I've done (only two others with fondant), but with these smaller ones I did - not the 6", those look fine, but the 4.5 and 3? They look a little sloppy, but not as bad as they did and a naked cake just looks weird when you can see where it is just sitting on the other cake without really "flowing" from one to the other.

Now I need to lightly spray some gold dust on it (I've done this before, so I'm not too worried about it) and then flowers and dragees.

Oh, I used Satin Ice, I'm not up for homemade stuff that I can't rely on as a novice. Though I'll need to start making it as that stuff is so expensive (though tasty).

Melissa

berryblondeboys Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 4:20pm
post #6 of 7

My ugly looking marshmallow snowmen really transformed. I love how it turned out... As long as I can decorate it, the slightest imperections aren't really visible and it's not as bad as I thought last night, perhaps shadows?

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1274022.html

Thanks for the tips though - I will USE them to make it even better next time.

Melissa

mlharvell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mlharvell Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 6:04pm
post #7 of 7

I recommend getting Sugarshack's DVD on fondant. It's FABULOUS!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%