Has Anybody Made Fall Leaves With Gumpaste?

Decorating By mareg Updated 10 Oct 2008 , 12:03am by kaseynh

mareg Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 4:51am
post #1 of 10

I have a wedding cake for fall with fall maple leaves and fall colors. Any hints you could give woud be GREAT!! Thanks! thumbs_up.gif

9 replies
lorrieg Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 5:11am
post #2 of 10

I just did but mine were white chocolate fondant. I rolled the fondant, cut out oak & maple leaves, softened the edges, added veining with a dresden tool and shaped or left flat to "dry" a bit. Then I dusted with petal dust and steamed them. (you have to be quick when you steam them because they melt quickly)

They are going on cupcakes this weekend for a fall wedding.

If you did them in gumpaste you could get them thinner and much finer looking. I'd let them dry and dust them and steam them. HTH

SharonK1973 Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 5:21am
post #3 of 10

I have made those. I also sort of marble some brown and orange and yellow gumpaste together and roll it out too to cut our leaves so the look like they are in different stages of the fall colors. Very pretty!

firehorse Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 5:22am
post #4 of 10

I just tried some based on a demo I saw and they worked really nicely. I used various leaf cutters (the maple leaf and small oak leaf turned out the best), then pressed them on a veining mat from FFM (but you could probably do this with a toothpick). Was told to crumple them a bit in the palm of your hand but this didn't do much - I think my gumpaste was a little soft (I've never tried it before). Let them dry on crumpled up foil to give them shape. Once dried you can use Color Mist sprays to get a great look. I found the yellow and orange didn't show up. I tinted my gumpaste with a bit of brown and yellow gel colour first - I didn't have a cream colour. Spray green on the bottom tip, then orange and yellow, the key is a bit of red on the top tips. Just did these for cakes yesterday and today. Haven't downloaded the pics yet but if you want to see just let me know and I can send to you.

ceshell Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 5:28am
post #5 of 10

Here's a similar thread with lots of info icon_smile.gif http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-605891.html

mareg Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 5:32am
post #6 of 10

firehorse I'd love to see them. You can email them to me. What is FFM? I'm planning on using cutters then veining them with either a tool or a mat. Which is better?

lorrieg, Why do you steam them? I'm using gumpaste . What do you dust them with.

sorry for all the questions.... I'm still figuring this out.

Thanks bunches!

mareg Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 5:54am
post #7 of 10

ceshell, I could not find your cake icon_sad.gif Is it on the 1 or 2 page?

firehorse Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 6:07am
post #8 of 10

oops - I just looked at the veining mats and the company name is FMM. I don't know what's better, but I suspect having a veiner or veining mats is easier. I just took up cake decorating and that was my first post! I saw a demo that lasted about 2.5 minutes because she forgot to show us during the gumpaste demo and rushed through it. I don't have a lot of time to experiment and it was my first experience with gumpaste and rolling anything out so I just went with exactly what the teacher did.

About the steaming, she did mention that when you paint colors on with petal dust that lightly steaming them "sets" the color.

I'll download the photos now and try to figure out how to email them to you. If they didn't turn out I'll take one of just the leaves which I kept for future use. Just as a disclaimer, I didn't take a lot of time with these as it was very late and I was exhausted so you can tell some of them are bigger than the veining mat etc. I really just want to show you what the color mist sprays do because it gives it a really realistic look (and I know because I'm from Canada!) and a very different look than the ones pictured on the other thread made from various colors of gumpaste. They are beautiful, but I suspect take longer. This way you just make one colour of gumpaste - cream or pale orange - and spray away!

ceshell Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 10:53pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mareg

ceshell, I could not find your cake icon_sad.gif Is it on the 1 or 2 page?

Hi Mareg! No cake from me (well, I did do a pumpkin cake w/fall leaves but I didn't really go for the "realistic" look), I just meant that I had been reading thru that thread and saw lots of great suggestions. I think I was just lurking on the thread though icon_redface.gif, in case the info comes in handy icon_smile.gif.

kaseynh Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 12:03am
post #10 of 10

I just did a fall wedding cake for my husband's nephew. I used a 50/50 mix of gumpaste and fondant. I rolled it out really thin and used maple leaf cutters. softend the edges and used a veining mat. I dried them on crumpled foil and airbrushed them with several layers of color. I am new to airbushing so they came out a little more brown then I would have liked.
I have added the links below. HTH

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1262003
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1270154

My husband helped me make the cake stand as well. I found a "bowl" that looked like small branches and mounted it on a fabric covered board 22" across. I then put a 20" clear glass round on top of the bowl and stacked the cake on that. I am still new to decorating and have to work on my edges (they are always rounded over) but other than that it was fun to do and not too stressful. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%