I Hate Gumpaste!

Decorating By panchanewjersey Updated 10 Oct 2008 , 11:57pm by JenniferMI

panchanewjersey Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 4:50am
post #1 of 9

Especially Wilton gumpaste. Ok so I had to make a figure of a little girl and decided I should give the Wilton gumpaste a try. Followed directions exactly as it said (soooo easy) it was actually soft in texture but apparently once it started to dry, her little face started to crack. icon_cry.gif was upset, so I threw it away and started again. Guess what it happend again, I even tried adding a lillte more shortening but now that it's drying I can see it cracking. Any suggestions, I'm going kooky!

8 replies
jules06 Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 11:56am
post #2 of 9

I have never tried the Wilton gumpaste but generally, you knead the gumpaste until it is soft & stretchy ( when you pull it apart in your hands,it stretches like chewie,rather than breaking) before using it ( keep adding shortening to it too, that helps ) - it may take a little while & it should solve the cracking problem ! You could also try mixing a bit of fondant in with it to give you more time before it dries.

Hope that all made sense icon_biggrin.gif

CakesByLJ Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 12:14pm
post #3 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by panchanewjersey

Especially Wilton gumpaste.

Well, there's your problem icon_biggrin.gif Go here for the recipe and make your own.. This is the only gum paste I ever use.... www.nicholaslodge.com

leah_s Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 1:51pm
post #4 of 9

Try mixing gumpaste and fondant 50/50. In fact we all call it "50/50". You get the stretchiness of fondant and the drying of gumpaste.

TC123 Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 2:14pm
post #5 of 9

I make my own gumpaste, and I never had issues with cracking. (I've only done a few figurines, though.) It's real easy to make. Good luck & don't give up!!!

weirkd Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 3:16pm
post #6 of 9

Yah, you dont want to use Wilton brand. Its more for a newbie that wants to play around and not something you want to save.
Either use Nick Lodges recipe or mine.

Cakepro Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 5:19pm
post #7 of 9

I disagree with the negativity regarding Wilton gumpaste. I use Nick's recipe at home and Wilton's gumpaste when teaching, and while I love that Nick's GP is a little stretchier, Wilton's GP works perfectly well.

The problem you're having is because the gumpaste is doing its job - drying quickly - and you are working too slowly.

Do exactly as Leah said - use a 50/50 mix. Straight gumpaste generally dries too quickly for making figures unless you're really adept at doing it quickly.

Cakepro Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 12:55am
post #8 of 9

Holy crap - sorry about that! LOL It happened during the server problems and when I would submit my post, it gave me all kinds of php_bb error messages.

JenniferMI Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 11:57pm
post #9 of 9

I teach classes and I can't tell you how many times my students say "oh my gosh, this is really nice gumpaste. Some of my problems were definately with the paste.... it's so nice to work with a great paste" The paste can make all the difference. I use a modified version of Nick's recipe. If you want it, just e-mail me, I'm happy to share it.

Jen icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%