What Do I Do Now??? Cake's Due Tomorrow - Ethical Dilemma

Decorating By berryblondeboys Updated 10 Oct 2008 , 1:05am by xstitcher

berryblondeboys Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 2:19am
post #1 of 7

Ok, so I said I would make a mini cake and I've never done it before. When I saw and then she saw how small that would be, she decided and I agreed that we should go up a size. So, we did, HOWEVER.... Is this stable??? How do I constuct it?

It's a 6" base, a 4.5" middle and a 3" top.

If I do 2" base, 2" middle and 2" top (with filling it's about 2.5" tall each layer), it looks a little short and squat. If I do 3" inches (but with filling it's really 4"), it looks HUGELY tall and skinny.. basically it's only 6.5" wide and 8" tall!!! It looks like it will be unstable.

I know for the lady that the serving size was an issue. She wants it MAINLY for her MIL and FIL, but also other people will want to taste.... but if I cut it down a layer, they'll lose that much cake...

What if I just did TWO layers - 6" and 4" at 4" tall? Is that unethical to ditch a layer? they'll have more cake this way than if I take out a bit from each layer...

Ack!!! I'll never get this cake stuff down so that I feel CONFIDENT!

Melissa

6 replies
DianeLM Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 2:35am
post #2 of 7

I have done tall, skinny cakes like that. I freaked at first, too, but my method works every time.

I use straws as dowels to support the upper tiers -- BUT -- inside each straw, I hammer a piece of sharpened bamboo skewer into the cake board. I cut the skewers the same height as the straws so they're slightly below the surface of the straws once hammered in.

Then, I hammer a long, sharpened dowel through the entire cake and into the base board.

Just warn your customer about all those skewers. I've had repeat orders for cakes with this type of construction, so it's not a problem for those customers. Can't speak for everyone. icon_smile.gif

FromScratch Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 2:47am
post #3 of 7

If you make your layers 3" tall it should look more proportional. icon_smile.gif That way the top tier is as tall as it is round and it won't look oddly tall and the rest of the layers will fall in place since they match the top in height.

berryblondeboys Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 3:35am
post #4 of 7

Thanks, I decided to take a layer out. It can only be 2" or 3", but with filling, it's really 2.5 and 3.75. The 3.75 was just way too tall. So, I took out a layer and now it looks right, it will be about 8" tall once the fondant is on and such, so 6" wide and 8" tall is as tall as I felt comfortable stretching it.

However, I AM making a spare (she is a friend of mine and her daughter is my son's best friend), so they have more cake... AND it gives me a spare if I *#$@ it up! icon_wink.gif

I'm just so stressed about this one... my first fondant tiered cake and it's this small one.

Melissa

berryblondeboys Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 3:16pm
post #5 of 7

Thanks all, I ditched a layer and it turned out great (for me).

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1274022.html

berryblondeboys Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 3:27pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks all, I ditched a layer and it turned out great (for me).

[url]http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1274022.html

xstitcher Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 1:05am
post #7 of 7

Just checked put your cake, it looks great!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%