Holding My First Open House And Starting Up Business

Business By stephaniesbakery Updated 9 Oct 2008 , 3:21am by CakeForte

stephaniesbakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniesbakery Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 9:55pm
post #1 of 2

I have been doing cakes part time for about a year, and now I am ready to go full time. I thought planning an open house to have event planners, and others in the event market to taste some of my work would be a good start. Any advise on what to do at the open house, or advise on how to get more clients and make the business a full time job would be very helpful.

Plus I am also interested to see if anyone has been successful at getting any grants to start up their business.

1 reply
CakeForte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeForte Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 3:21am
post #2 of 2

I think that is an excellent idea! It doesn't have to be complicated. Start with the main reason why you want them there. To sample your cakes. A simple cake an punk networking party gives you the opportunity to have them meet you, them sample your cakes, and build your network.

If the like what you have to offer...your word of mouth and referrals will start to grow. The key is to not stop networking and marketing.

Personally....I think business grants are a misconception. They are available, but mainly for those types of businesses that are inline with the principles and philosophies of a nonprofit organization or foundation. Basically your company has a product or service that supports a greater "good".

There are the small ones here and there for $500 or $1000... then the occasional business competition for the big money...but its not a realistic option of funding because the chances of winning are slim. My 2 cents.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%