I Saw This Idea And Would Like To Try It But...

Decorating By TrinaH Updated 12 Oct 2008 , 4:29pm by TrinaH

TrinaH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TrinaH Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 8:30pm
post #1 of 27

OK, I saw a round tiered spiderman cake in the gallery that has two upright spider webs on it and the creator mentioned using royal icing to make them.

My questions are 1) would you think that taking a web pattern and just piping RI over it would create a sturdy web? One web is going down the side of two layers, so it's not against the cake entirely. 2) Can you think of any other good alternatives other than RI or rolled gumpaste to create such a thing?

Here are the webs in question
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=331053

26 replies
Hollysuann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hollysuann Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 8:44pm
post #2 of 27

I think you would have to go over it several times with RI to make it sturdy. The lines look pretty thick to me.

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 8:44pm
post #3 of 27

Hi. like you said, take the pattern and pipe over it. You might need to do extra one or two in case if one breaks. icon_smile.gif

TrinaH Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 8:49pm
post #4 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollysuann

I think you would have to go over it several times with RI to make it sturdy. The lines look pretty thick to me.

That's what concerns me.... that looks pretty darn thick! I'm just really not seeing how it would work with RI and still be thick!

Also, how would you attach it to the cake? Like I said, I've never really worked with RI much, but doesn't having it in contact with the shortening in the BC break it down? Or am I thinking of something else?

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 9:19pm
post #5 of 27

White chocolate might work too

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 9:25pm
post #6 of 27

What an awesome cake ! Did you pm and ask her ? She might share answers to all your questions?

deliciously_decadent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deliciously_decadent Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 9:42pm
post #7 of 27

ld also add support by usinf florist wire or skewers on the straight parts, this would just give the icing a frame for stability so that it would not be relying purely on itself to stay up, she does slo say she made lots in case of breakage!

imakecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imakecakes Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 9:44pm
post #8 of 27

That's a great cake! I like the idea of doing white chocolate, but it's still very fragile. Try PMing her. I'm sure she'd help!

Brujalita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brujalita Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 9:53pm
post #9 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrinaH

Also, how would you attach it to the cake? Like I said, I've never really worked with RI much, but doesn't having it in contact with the shortening in the BC break it down? Or am I thinking of something else?

I think RI doesn't like shortening/grease when it's being made. After that, should it contact bc, the break down is not instantaneous (sp). I still wait until the last possible minute, tho, to put my RI decos on bc, just in case (Murphy likes to stay at my house A LOT!!). As far as attaching the webs to the cake, I would probably attach a lollipop stick to the web with RI and insert the stick into the cake. HTH

angelatx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelatx Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 9:56pm
post #10 of 27

i don't know, but thats a super coolicious cake!! would love to see the one you make, i bet its going to be fantabulous!! hi fiddlesticks!! icon_smile.gif have a great day everyone!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

TrinaH Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 7:46pm
post #11 of 27

I'm curious about the white chocolate idea ... cuz I looove me some white chocolate haha

Does anyone else think that WC might be sturdy enough for this? The cake won't be moved around or anything and I can add it to the cake right before the party.

AHHH, I need to make this cake tomorrow night and I still don't have a "plan"

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 7:50pm
post #12 of 27

Back at ya angelatx!!

Superstar2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Superstar2 Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 8:22pm
post #13 of 27

I agree with fiddlesticks PM the cake artist. Most of us are willing to share our "How too's" on our cakes. Good luck.

TrinaH Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 8:27pm
post #14 of 27

I did send her a PM, but she hasn't posted on CC since April so I don't think she's around icon_sad.gif

Ariginal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ariginal Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 8:28pm
post #15 of 27

I get the panic on sometimes too but in all honestly it will come to you just when you need and once you stop worrying hehe.. anyways i did a spiderman cake for my son a few years ago now and his weg was going from one building to another... i did however have a fondant covered cake and fondant spiderman handmade him. I use royal icing and to support it till it set i had like a thin cardboard strip covered in non stick paper and left it there until the last minute.. when the kids starting arriving seem to work fine and also i wasnt travelling anywhere with it so not sure how it would hold up otherwise... good luck cant wait to see your version..
LL
LL

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 10:42pm
post #16 of 27

use a bigger tip like a 4 or 5 with your royal icing, or you could extrude some gumpaste through a clay gun and glue the peices together until dry. either way make lots of spares.

Ladybug6509 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladybug6509 Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 10:53pm
post #17 of 27

If you have a clay extruder, you could use that to form long ropes out of gumpaste and shape them where the webs meet. I've done this while making tiaras instead of using royal icing. It is a lot less fragile.

TrinaH Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 11:28pm
post #18 of 27

Man, I wish I had a clay extruder! That sounds like it would have been perfect!! But, I know I don't have the patience to try and roll the gumpaste myself and I'm sure they would look like crap then LOL

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 12:38am
post #19 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brujalita

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrinaH

I think RI doesn't like shortening/grease when it's being made. After that, should it contact bc, the break down is not instantaneous (sp). I still wait until the last possible minute, tho, to put my RI decos on bc, just in case (Murphy likes to stay at my house A LOT!!). As far as attaching the webs to the cake, I would probably attach a lollipop stick to the web with RI and insert the stick into the cake. HTH

Royal icing is traditionally made using egg whites. Any type of grease prevented the whites from whipping up. Having said that quite a few of the top decorators will pipe royal icing on wax paper that has a thin smear of shortening on it. The royal icing decoration will dry but will release easier.

martmarg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
martmarg Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 12:58am
post #20 of 27

royal icing is pretty sturdy and I've used it to make webs and corals. But I've also used white chocolate to make spider webs. All you do is pipe it on wax paper and release when dry.

joby1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joby1 Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 1:20am
post #21 of 27

I did the same web on my sons spiderman cakes (in my pics) with RI and it worked great. I did a couple of layers and they held up really well. Of course, I made extras, just in case clutzy me dropped them.

TrinaH Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 3:18am
post #22 of 27

I just made a couple with RI and they are drying now. How long did you let them dry before releasing them from the wax paper?

I'm optimistic right now, but only time will tell!

joby1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joby1 Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 4:00am
post #23 of 27

I do not remember how long, but had a few test pieces that I checked on to see if it was dry. (I did this back in April) I do not rember it taking too long between layers. Just be patient...which i am awful at and that is why I make test pieces!!!

TrinaH Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 6:39am
post #24 of 27

I have two full webs done and two half webs done. I think I'm gonna make two more of each .... JUST in case icon_biggrin.gif I'm sooo nervous about this!

Rincewind Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rincewind Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 12:20pm
post #25 of 27

I just recently saw a spider web being made on that wedding cake show. She said that she added something to royal icing to make it flexible. Does anyone have any idea what this could be?

kimmy37 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmy37 Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 12:50pm
post #26 of 27

I made a RI tiara this weekend with a tip 5 I think. I let it dry overnight with a fan blowing on it. (I'm a procrastinator--I should've made it days ahead of time!) I made a test one (in other words- I screwed up!) and let it dry about 5 hours in front of the fan. It broke, so I would recommend a longer drying time. I just taped wax paper over the pattern and drew it on. It was super easy and turned out great....should be in my pics- (or not- the site must be backed up). HTH

TrinaH Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 4:29pm
post #27 of 27

I guess all this didn't matter anyway.... this cake was for my son's birthday party today and this morning while it was sitting on the table.... my son and my 4 yr old daughter decided to help themselves to the cake while I wasn't looking. They destroyed the borders and put their fingers all over the back side of the cake and broke most of the BC piped spider webs on the bottom layer!

All that work.... for a cake that looks like crap anyways *cry*

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%