Loosing My Mind!!

Decorating By tiersfromheaven Updated 8 Oct 2008 , 10:07pm by lorijom

tiersfromheaven  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiersfromheaven Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 7:21pm
post #1 of 9

Have spent all afternoon trying to cover a 4inch round in fondant. The 10 inch was covered in a snap but this blasted 4 inch won't work!!!!! Keeps tearing. Any suggestions? I don't give up easily (tried for about three hours icon_mad.gif ) but this blasted cake has won. It is just a dummy dry run, so to speak. The real one won't be so small.

Can anyone offer advice? I will try anything.

icon_cry.gif

8 replies
 CakeMakar  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakar Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 7:25pm
post #2 of 9

Maybe microwave the fondant a bit? (10 seconds at a time.)

psurrette  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psurrette Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 7:26pm
post #3 of 9

make sure its not to heavy and is pulling down the sides that will cause tearing. If its a dummy cake try to round out the edges so they arent so sharp.

lorijom  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorijom Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 7:32pm
post #4 of 9

I use thicker fondant on smaller tiers, about 1/4" and make sure it's not too soft. It should be like bread dough when you knead it...not at all sticky. I agree with rounding off the top edge even just roll it across your countertop. Also I use shortening on my dummies so that the fondant sticks right away and doesn't slide off but is still able to be moved about as you wish. HTH

millermom  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millermom Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 7:42pm
post #5 of 9

I just covered my first dummy cake last week, and the first attempts tore as well. I figured it was the sharp edge on the foam, so I rolled it on my counter, and then pushed it down with my thumb to make sure. That, and making my fondant a little thicker made the difference. icon_smile.gif

Win  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 8:03pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Quote:

I just covered my first dummy cake last week, and the first attempts tore as well. I figured it was the sharp edge on the foam, so I rolled it on my counter, and then pushed it down with my thumb to make sure. That, and making my fondant a little thicker made the difference.

Wow! I like that idea. I have not had problems in the past with dummies (cakes, that is icon_lol.gif ), but still love the idea of rounding off the edges on a hard surface.

It is possible to knead fondant too much and it breaks down in a chemical reaction... especially if it is a commercial product. I had been told this before and actually heard Duff tell that to Paula Deen when he was a guest on Paula's Party. It might be that you will just have to start over with different fondant. I HAVE had to do that with real cake and wished it had just been a dummy at the time.

tiersfromheaven Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 8:09pm
post #7 of 9

Thank you all ! Great advice! I took a small break but I will try it again right now. If I find that I have worked the fondant too much it will be used for the accents. Thanks again!

tiersfromheaven Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 9:57pm
post #8 of 9

Thanks to everyone who helped!! I tried all the advice. I softened the edges, rolled thicker and I added some fresh fondant to the mix. The little bugger got covered and I was able to move on and finish covering the last tier. Now to decorate! icon_biggrin.gif

lorijom  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorijom Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 10:07pm
post #9 of 9

hooray!!!icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%