Loosing My Mind!!

Decorating By tiersfromheaven Updated 8 Oct 2008 , 10:07pm by lorijom

tiersfromheaven Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 7:21pm
post #1 of 9

Have spent all afternoon trying to cover a 4inch round in fondant. The 10 inch was covered in a snap but this blasted 4 inch won't work!!!!! Keeps tearing. Any suggestions? I don't give up easily (tried for about three hours icon_mad.gif ) but this blasted cake has won. It is just a dummy dry run, so to speak. The real one won't be so small.

Can anyone offer advice? I will try anything.

icon_cry.gif

8 replies
CakeMakar Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 7:25pm
post #2 of 9

Maybe microwave the fondant a bit? (10 seconds at a time.)

psurrette Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 7:26pm
post #3 of 9

make sure its not to heavy and is pulling down the sides that will cause tearing. If its a dummy cake try to round out the edges so they arent so sharp.

lorijom Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 7:32pm
post #4 of 9

I use thicker fondant on smaller tiers, about 1/4" and make sure it's not too soft. It should be like bread dough when you knead it...not at all sticky. I agree with rounding off the top edge even just roll it across your countertop. Also I use shortening on my dummies so that the fondant sticks right away and doesn't slide off but is still able to be moved about as you wish. HTH

millermom Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 7:42pm
post #5 of 9

I just covered my first dummy cake last week, and the first attempts tore as well. I figured it was the sharp edge on the foam, so I rolled it on my counter, and then pushed it down with my thumb to make sure. That, and making my fondant a little thicker made the difference. icon_smile.gif

Win Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 8:03pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Quote:

I just covered my first dummy cake last week, and the first attempts tore as well. I figured it was the sharp edge on the foam, so I rolled it on my counter, and then pushed it down with my thumb to make sure. That, and making my fondant a little thicker made the difference.

Wow! I like that idea. I have not had problems in the past with dummies (cakes, that is icon_lol.gif ), but still love the idea of rounding off the edges on a hard surface.

It is possible to knead fondant too much and it breaks down in a chemical reaction... especially if it is a commercial product. I had been told this before and actually heard Duff tell that to Paula Deen when he was a guest on Paula's Party. It might be that you will just have to start over with different fondant. I HAVE had to do that with real cake and wished it had just been a dummy at the time.

tiersfromheaven Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 8:09pm
post #7 of 9

Thank you all ! Great advice! I took a small break but I will try it again right now. If I find that I have worked the fondant too much it will be used for the accents. Thanks again!

tiersfromheaven Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 9:57pm
post #8 of 9

Thanks to everyone who helped!! I tried all the advice. I softened the edges, rolled thicker and I added some fresh fondant to the mix. The little bugger got covered and I was able to move on and finish covering the last tier. Now to decorate! icon_biggrin.gif

lorijom Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 10:07pm
post #9 of 9

hooray!!!icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%