I'm Feeling Discouraged...

Decorating By Babarooskie Updated 8 Oct 2008 , 7:47pm by PinkZiab

Babarooskie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babarooskie Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 6:49pm
post #1 of 3

Hi Cake-Centralers....

I'm feeling bummed..majorly.
I hate my job where I'm at now, and I have been looking for a "Pastry" position- whether it be in a hotel, a bakery, restaurant, whatever. Well, I'm self-taught and never really worked in any of those places I just mentioned.

Oh, and I don't have a Culinary degree either. I'm in the process of trying to work that out in the meantime. Anyway, I've sent out my resume along with photos of my cakes and NOTHING! I feel as if nobody will give me a chance. Pastry is something I am VERY VERY passionate about and I will work my butt off!

Yes, I'm making my cakes on the side and getting paid for it...but I want to be in a career in something that I love. Not something that's just "paying the bills". I don't know if I'm making any sense...but thank you for letting me vent.

2 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 7:09pm
post #2 of 3

Unfortunately, culinary schools are graduating pastry chefs by the hundreds. Given the popularity of the FoodNetwork, it has become 'the thing to do'.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 7:47pm
post #3 of 3

When it comes to cakes, and working in a cake studio or bakery, a portfolio may be all you need, but when it comes to pastry, well, a lot of high-end places want either a pastry degree or 3-5 years firm experience in a similar environment (hotel, high end dining with service, etc). Without a pastry degree or related experience, you usually have to work your way into a pastry position from some other low-level kitchen job. Even with a pastry degree you start out pretty low on the chain, at $10-12 an hour. And even then, those jobs are hard to come by--it's very competitive. Heck, even pastry INTERNSHIPS are competitive and sometimes require 2 or more trails to get.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%