Advice Please!!!! The Sooner The Bettter!

Decorating By JodyLee618 Updated 8 Oct 2008 , 6:57pm by mixinvixen

JodyLee618 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodyLee618 Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 6:47pm
post #1 of 3

Hey everyone!!

I am making my mom's 50th birthday cakes for her party this weekend, the party is on Sat. I am making 3 cakes, and have already made this earlier this week and put them in the freezer. I am really needed to decorate them tonight or tomorrow at the latest and transport them home 3 and 1/2 hours! My worry is that 1)the cake wont be moist by Sat. or 2) The icing will have a bitter taste due to the coloring (black for 2 of the cakes, and orange for another) and 3) that the colors will bleed?? All the cakes are going to be buttercream... and someone suggested that I go ahead and decorate them tonight and then tomorrow after I have transported them to go ahead and put them back into the freezer until Saturday. I wasn't sure how the cakes would be if i went ahead and re-froze them... Soo if anyone has any advice that would be awesome!!!!

Thanks so much!
Jody

2 replies
Tracy71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tracy71 Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 6:50pm
post #2 of 3

I have frozen a cake, defrosted it to decorate and refrozen it. It tasted fine and looked great too. However, I did do that with a fondant cake also and when I defrosted that one, the Fondant was sticky and gooey!!! I would think you would be alright if it is buttercream, but I wouldn't do it if it is Fondant. Hope that helps.

mixinvixen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mixinvixen Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 6:57pm
post #3 of 3

my blues clues cake was decorated in fondant, then frozen to survive the 8 1/2 hour trip to georgia. put back into freezer once we got there. if you'll notice, it's very shiny, because we decided to do the party a night earlier than planned, but if you'll just take it out of the freezer and put it onthe countertop without touching it, the condensation will evaporate andthe fondant will stop being sticky and shiny....bingo!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%