Need Help On Spider Shaped Cake

Decorating By pieceofcake20 Updated 8 Oct 2008 , 7:25pm by pieceofcake20

pieceofcake20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pieceofcake20 Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 6:27pm
post #1 of 6

Okay, I'm making a spider shaped cake this weekend. I plan on using a ball pan for the head and carving the body out of some cake. I will cover it in black fondant icing. I'm having a problem with figuring out the legs. I don't want to use anything cheesy like twizzlers or pipe cleaners. Any ideas?? I'm attaching a picture of the kind of spider I'm trying to replicate.
LL

5 replies
Tracy71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tracy71 Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 6:58pm
post #2 of 6

I don't know if this would help, but what about floral wire with segmented fondant slid over the top of the wire?

pieceofcake20 Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 7:03pm
post #3 of 6

That's a good idea.
I know I don't want to try to use cake or rice krispies. I like the idea of putting fondant on some sort of wire. Can anyone think of a material that I could use instead of the floral wire?

Shannie13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shannie13 Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 7:07pm
post #4 of 6

I can't see the picture you want to replicate but what about using bbq skewers to wrap the fondant around. If you want to try it you can also colour some marshmallows black and use them as your joints for the legs.
Hope it works out for you
Shannie

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 7:19pm
post #5 of 6

When I made the legs for my Miss Spider cake I just rolled black fondant thin about 6-7 inches long but not too thin and layed it out sort of wavey on the wax paper and let it dry really good..When they were dry the legs looked really cute.I've also made them sort of L shaped too!!

pieceofcake20 Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 7:25pm
post #6 of 6

I just looked at her. She's adorable!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%