Strawberries Dipped In Chocolate......

Decorating By ShortcakesSweets Updated 10 Oct 2008 , 3:47am by Boofycakes

ShortcakesSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShortcakesSweets Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 6:16pm
post #1 of 7

I've done this several times with no problems. A couple months ago I did a tasting for a Dessert Bar. When I dipped the strawberries in chocolate they did fine at first (or so I thought). When I went to attach the strawberries to the topiary form, the chocolate started cracking and almost falling off some of the strawberries.
I'm wondering if maybe the strawberries were still a little damp or maybe I had the chocolate too thin.
Does anyone have suggestions on what may have caused this and how to prevent it in the future? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

6 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 10:44pm
post #2 of 7

Are you using real choco? OR melts? Sounds to me like maybe your b erries were cold? Too much temp contrast?
Sorry I can't really help but at least this will give you a 'bump' icon_smile.gif

ShortcakesSweets Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 1:53am
post #3 of 7

It wasn't melts. It was CandyQuick candy coating. Thanks for the suggestions. Anyone else have other thoughts?

Boofycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Boofycakes Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 2:32am
post #4 of 7

I've never had that problem before. How were you attaching them to your topiary?

ShortcakesSweets Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 3:22am
post #5 of 7

After the chocolate had set up for a while, I stuck toothpicks in the topiary form and slid the strawberries onto the toothpick (at the top of the strawberry where there was no chocolate).

ShortcakesSweets Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 3:31am
post #6 of 7

Here's the finished product. In this photo you can't tell the chocolate is cracking. Another thing is that I had it in my refrigerator the night before delivery and it was around 90 degrees when I delivered it. Could the change in temperature cause it?
LL

Boofycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Boofycakes Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 3:47am
post #7 of 7

hmm, your attachment didnt work. icon_sad.gif I'm not sure what could have cracked them. just being cold shouldnt have cracked them. and being warm they should have melted, not crack. i've taken strawberries from one extreme temp to another without cracking before...and you said you did not stick the toothpick into the chocolate...

I'm stumped. icon_sad.gif i hope maybe someone else has some ideas...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%