How To Stack A Cake Using Straws?

Decorating By serenelui Updated 11 Oct 2008 , 1:36pm by serenelui

serenelui Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 6:05pm
post #1 of 9

Hi all.. i've been requested to do a 9" and 6" 2 tier cake and was wondering how to go about stacking the cake? The cakes will be covered in fondant and need to be assembled before transporting it to the final location. I've read that a lot of you actually use bubble tea straws to support the weight of the top tier.. but can anyone tell me how to go about doing this? i.e. how many straws will i need for the 6" cake and will i need a centre dowel since the cake needs to be assembled before transportation?

Oh i also heard of some people saying that you can add icing to ensure that the top tier does not move around.. if i do this, do i still need the centre dowel? Also.. will the icing sticking the top tier to the bottom tier of the cake make it more difficult to disassemble the cake when it's due to be served? and would this mess up the bottom tier of the cake for serving?

Sorry for the super long post but i've never done a stacked cake and have no idea where to even start!! Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

8 replies
kakeladi Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 10:58pm
post #2 of 9

Personally I think a 6" cake only takes 3 or 5 straws. You don't want to overload it so they cannot cut the cake w/o hitting a straw!
Normally I would not center dowel such a small caked but since you will not be delivering then I would put one in. Leave it 2-3" longer than the cake is high so they can get ahold of it to remove it. Tell them to pulll up on it while twisting it.
Cover you board *completely* front/back/top/bottom with foil. The foil will press down into the straws & help hold the top tier.
Some icing will come off on the board when they remove the top tier. I would not put extra icing on.

serenelui Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 4:29am
post #3 of 9

Hi kakeladi... thanks so much for the info... so i should leave the dowel sticking out of the top tier by 2-3"?? hmm.. but i have a topper to add on the top of the cake.. so i can't have it sticking out.. is there anyway to change this so it's easy for them to disassemble the cake for eating later? As for getting the icing stuck on the board, if i am covering my cakes with fondant would i still get this problem?

THanks!!!!

serenelui Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 10:23am
post #4 of 9

*bump*

KoryAK Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 10:31am
post #5 of 9

I would put 5 straws under the 6" tier. I assemble up to 4 tiers with just straws for dowels all the time. I agree with the pp, since they are transporting the cake themselves I would add a center dowel, but do not leave it sticking out the top. Just let them know that it is in there and to lift the top tier UP and off when it is time. Then the remaining will be sticking out and they can pull it. With the dowel, you will not need additional icing.

A little icing between 2 fondant cakes will not make for problems when disassembling. You also do not need to wrap the boards in anything, they will not sog out or warp or explode. They are built for this. If in doubt, just use 2 glued together. I would be more worried about foil bits coming loose and going deep into the second tier when hammering the center dowel thru. HTH

momvarden Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 11:11am
post #6 of 9

I just wanted to say that i use straws most of the time, but if i know that the layers are going to be decorated heavy, for a piece of mind inside the the straws i also use the lollie pop sticks. I don't use them by themselves because they are paper and get soft when moisture hits them.
just food for thought.

leah_s Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 12:16pm
post #7 of 9

Of course, I'd recommend SPS. icon_smile.gif

becklynn Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 12:41pm
post #8 of 9

Sharon (sugarshack) has an excellent DVD called "Successful Stacking" that has helped me out a lot. It shows how to stack buttercream or fondant cakes using the bubble tea straws, and also how to do the center dowel. Worth the $$$! All of her DVD's are great!
Good luck!

serenelui Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 1:36pm
post #9 of 9

Thanks all for the replies.. unfortunately i can't get the SPS system where i am and i probably can't ship it to me in time which is the reason why i have to resort to using straws since i have it readily available here.. especially the bubble tea straws. icon_smile.gif i'll have to look into the SPS system if i end up doing more of these stacked cakes though.

As for the DVD by sugarshack... thought i'd try to get a few pointers here first and try it out before i invest more money getting the DVD's. but thanks for the suggestion though.. icon_smile.gif

Oh.. btw... could i replace wooden chopsticks for the dowels? I can't seem to find the dowels where i am.. but chopsticks are readily available! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%