Toba's Moist Yellow Cake

Baking By ZAKIA6 Updated 20 Mar 2009 , 4:13am by serenelui

ZAKIA6 Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 5:39pm
post #1 of 17

I want to try this cake... any reviews. is it really moist?

http://www.epicurious.com/reci.....AKE-109358

Also could i just use egg whites instead and make a white cake?

16 replies
dmhart Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 5:54pm
post #2 of 17

I couldn't get that link to work icon_confused.gif

rwarhank Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 5:55pm
post #3 of 17

I couldn't get the link to work; but if this is Toba Garrett's cake it is definitely moist and a good dense cake

ShopGrl1128 Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 5:57pm
post #4 of 17

That's the only recipe I use for all my cakes, coincidentally, I just posted it in another topic.
I honesty don't know why they call it "yellow" I comes out pretty white to me... icon_rolleyes.gif

I absolutely love this recipe, after some many failed scratch recipe this is by far the best I've ever tried, when I make it I just add 1 Tablespoon of Creme Bouquet, it's amazing!

ThreeDGirlie Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 5:59pm
post #5 of 17

I made it once. I won't make it again. I made it for my parents and grandparents. It wasn't spectacularly flavorful, and when I made it I kept a close eye on it. It was just barely cooked all the way through, and it was still kind of dry... Ehhh, not a fan.

The Mermaid Bakery vanilla butter cake recipe on here was better IMO.

cas17 Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 6:11pm
post #6 of 17

i baked it once and i was disappointed as it was just okay and not that moist but i think i over baked it a little. actually i like sylvia's much better.

ZAKIA6 Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 6:12pm
post #7 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeDGirlie

I made it once. I won't make it again. I made it for my parents and grandparents. It wasn't spectacularly flavorful, and when I made it I kept a close eye on it. It was just barely cooked all the way through, and it was still kind of dry... Ehhh, not a fan.

The Mermaid Bakery vanilla butter cake recipe on here was better IMO.

i like mermaid bakery vanilla cake icon_smile.gif!

ZAKIA6 Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 6:14pm
post #8 of 17
Montserrat Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 2:20am
post #9 of 17
Quote:
Quote:

cas17
Posted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:11 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i baked it once and i was disappointed as it was just okay and not that moist but i think i over baked it a little. actually i like sylvia's much better.

I have not tried Toba's but I just made Sylvia W's classic yellow cake.. When they were done, I sort of 'write' the cake off (it looked dry).. but when I took a mouthful later, I was so surprised (a little blown away actually) and delighted with the taste and texture of sylvia's cake.. mmm... it was creamy, moist and light without being sponge-y!

Maybe you want to try Sylvia's if you've not tried it

TC123 Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 2:49am
post #10 of 17

Ever since I came across Sylvia's recipe years ago, her's is pretty much the only yellow cake recipe I use now. It gets great reviews! thumbs_up.gif

cas17 Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 2:51am
post #11 of 17

montserrat that's exactly how it went the first time i made sylvia's yellow cake. a very nice surprise. the only change i made was using regular whole eggs instead of adding the whipped whites at the end. still came out great. holds up really well under fondant too.

Montserrat Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 3:35am
post #12 of 17

Thanks cas17 and TCarra for your comments..

cas17.. I will try the whole egg method vs. egg whites.. I was getting abit worried as I folded in the whipped whites.. in case I deflated the air!! LOL.

ZAKIA6 Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 1:21pm
post #13 of 17

ok so it looks like i will be trying slyvia's recipe! thanks for the input!

serenelui Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 3:37pm
post #14 of 17

Hi all.. was just wondering whether Sylvia's recipe or Mermaid Bakery's cake recipes will hold up to carving.. has anyone tried it before? THanks! icon_smile.gif

cas17 Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 10:13pm
post #15 of 17

i personally haven't done any carved cakes (yet) sorry can't help with your question. hopefully someone else will have an answer for you : )

serenelui Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 4:12am
post #16 of 17

thanks cas17!! I'm keeping my fingers crossed that someone's tried carving it before and can let me know... icon_smile.gif if not i guess i'll just have to go ahead and try it out someday.. :p

serenelui Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 4:13am
post #17 of 17

Thanks for letting me know Cas17... hopefully someone who's tried it before will respond here icon_smile.gif If not i guess i'll just have to try it out one of these days and see if it can withstand carving icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%