How Do I Make A Football Cake Girlie?

Decorating By Lynnscakes_sc Updated 10 Oct 2008 , 9:17pm by Lynnscakes_sc

Lynnscakes_sc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lynnscakes_sc Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 4:26pm
post #1 of 19

One of my moms coworkers called me yesterday and wants me to do a football cake for his daughter who is turning 17 on Tuesday. The only thing he said was I want a football cake with USC (University of S.C) logo on it & a football. How in the world can I make this for a 17 year old girl. I laughed and said "are you sure this cake is not for you and he said no no it really is for my daughter and we like the same things".

Help, I need some ideas.

18 replies
Tracy71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tracy71 Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 7:00pm
post #2 of 19

You could do a pink Football Jersey with the USC logo on top or maybe a football helmet with a pink face mask.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 7:26pm
post #3 of 19

Did he ask you to make it "girly"? If not, I would just do what he asked: Football cake with the logo. Don't assume just because she is a 17 year old girl she'll like anything pink or typically girly.

abslu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abslu Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 7:36pm
post #4 of 19

I agree - if she's totally into football and such, keep with the school colors and not make it pink unless it was specifically asked for. I did a Green Bay Packer logo in pink and white for a mom having a little girl (so everything was pink). But myself personally, I'm a huge Pittsburgh Steeler fan, and I REFUSE to wear the pink and white womens jerseys, I'd much rather sport the colors!!!!
Check with the customer on the colors!! I'd just make a football shaped cake and put the school logo on it! Nice and simple!

loves2bake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loves2bake Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 8:20pm
post #5 of 19

I agree with the majority: Don't "Make it pink". Some women just don't like pink (my cousin for one who refuses to put her daughter n anything pink) Some women may just like more masculine things (like this girl if she wants a football cake). If you're unsure of the color, just ask your customer before you mix the frosting colors. Most likely he will appreciate that you are conscientious.

tx_cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tx_cupcake Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 8:27pm
post #6 of 19

I agree with the "don't make it pink" crowd as well.
I am a HUGE college football fan (Hook 'Em Horns!), and I would love to have a Longhorn football cake for my birthday!

...and if there were any pink anywhere on that cake there would be hell to pay! icon_mad.gif

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 8:27pm
post #7 of 19

HAHA The first thing I thought of was making the football pink. But I do agree with abslu to call the customer and ask if he wants anything pink or would he prefer you stick with the teams colors. That's probably your best bet.

banba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
banba Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 8:27pm
post #8 of 19

He asked for a football cake so that's what I would do, just that. If his daughter likes football like him then wont they be expecting the same thing. Give the client exactly what he asked for and I would avoid pink unless it was specifically mentioned!

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 8:34pm
post #9 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by txcupcake

I agree with the "don't make it pink" crowd as well.
I am a HUGE college football fan (Hook 'Em Horns!), and I would love to have a Longhorn football cake for my birthday!

...and if there were any pink anywhere on that cake there would be hell to pay! icon_mad.gif

Oh, you are my mortal enemy. I'm an Aggie. icon_razz.gif

Let us know how the cake looks-I'm curious to see how you pull it off.

tx_cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tx_cupcake Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 8:42pm
post #10 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by summernoelle

Oh, you are my mortal enemy. I'm an Aggie. icon_razz.gif

As long as you're not a sooner, I think we'll be okay! icon_wink.gif

Don't you just love football season? icon_biggrin.gif

fidos_mom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fidos_mom Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 8:43pm
post #11 of 19

They LET longhorns on here. icon_surprised.gif I didn't know that TU was even allowed here!! lol.... Just kidding. icon_razz.gif I am a die hard Aggie and I LOVE football but anytime the horns play anyone but A&M I am rooting for them. Texans have to stick together! Gig 'em Aggies!! thumbs_up.gif

Carolina Gamecocks are anything BUT girly. Look at the UofSC website and see what their logos are and go from there. But don't use pink. Even the thought of a pink gamecock is ..... uugh....

Good luck! Remember to post the final decision. Curiousity and all that...

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 8:44pm
post #12 of 19

Well, there's pink in this but I like the girly sport idea:
LL

SugarBakerz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakerz Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 8:52pm
post #13 of 19

i am having a similar dillema... I am putting pom poms on mine, on either side of the football on top of the sheet cake.

this-mama-rocks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
this-mama-rocks Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 9:00pm
post #14 of 19

I would make a "regular" football cake and put the "USC" logo on the football. Make a fondant board to look like a football field, and write "Gamecocks" in the endzones.

Then, I would squash the the football and cover it with a huge orange tiger paw, but that's just me!

Lynnscakes_sc Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 12:45pm
post #15 of 19

hahahaha, some of your respones have me rolling over here! I agree NO PINK! I guess I just thought I needed to do something girlie because the dad ordered the cake and he sounded like the cake was more for him then her. But he did say she was a big USC football fan so I will stick with the traditional colors of garnett and black. I love the pom pom idea and making the cake board the football field.

this-mama-rocks, you had me going until you pulled in our rival "CLEMSON", tiger paw on the cake...have you lost your mind..hahaha

SugarBakerz, how are you doing the pom poms?

Thank you all for your advice, I will post the cake next week after its done.

this-mama-rocks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
this-mama-rocks Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 3:25am
post #16 of 19

Nope, haven't lost my mind - I'm just sayin'....

(I graduated from Clemson - more years ago than I care to admit!)

But seriously, I think the cake board-as-football field would look awesome. Ooh, and make the football black, not brown, and do the garnet USC logo on it. Way cool!

Lynnscakes_sc Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 1:45pm
post #17 of 19

Black football, cool idea!!!!!!!!!!!!

dragonflydreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonflydreams Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 8:48pm
post #18 of 19

. . . you could go along these lines . . . http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo-702.html . . . except just football of course . . .

Lynnscakes_sc Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 9:17pm
post #19 of 19

Thanks dragonflydreams I actually have that cake in my favorites but just haven't looked at them in a while. I would like to do a version of that cake but the dad asked for a sheet cake. But looking at that cake again it did spark an idea, so thanks. I could do the little footballs and put them as the bottom boarder.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%