Most Requested Wedding Cake Flavors

Business By l80bug79 Updated 18 Jul 2013 , 4:34pm by bittersweety

l80bug79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
l80bug79 Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 3:15pm
post #1 of 27

I have an anniversary cake that i'm doing in 2 weeks. it's a re-creation of their wedding cake with some modernized updates. their daughters are doing this for them and have given me free reign of flavors. This gives me an opportunity to do some "experimenting" on flavors since the guests are going to be my family. I"m curious as to which flavors are most requested for wedding cakes. so far i've only gotten white, butter, chocolate, carrot and red velvet. I"m going to do vanilla b/c icing so something that goes with that.

the cake is structured like this: (top to bottom) 6" 8" stacked; seperator pillars; then a 10 and 12 stacked.

Thanks!
Aimee

26 replies
cakelady15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady15 Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 3:32pm
post #2 of 27

I'm not positive, but I think I read somewhere on here that white almond sour cream was the traditional wedding cake flavor.

CakeForte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeForte Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 3:50pm
post #3 of 27

Italian cream is a popular flavor.

ShopGrl1128 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShopGrl1128 Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 4:56pm
post #4 of 27

Since I started offering a couple of moths ago Pink Champagne has become the most popular wedding cake flavor for me...I looove it!!! it's sooo yummy and pretty.

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 5:04pm
post #5 of 27

is the recipe for pink champagne in the files? what brand of champage do you buy to use in this recipe.

seagoat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
seagoat Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 5:06pm
post #6 of 27

I love pink champagne cake!!! Although, We've always bought it from a place near Seattle. (McGavins Bakery) I have been trying to duplicate that recipe, my only problem is....I can't remember what it taste like anymore icon_cry.gif

First thing on my list when I go back up is to buy another one of those darn cakes!

dinas27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dinas27 Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 5:21pm
post #7 of 27

lemon and chocolate.

ShopGrl1128 Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 5:21pm
post #8 of 27

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/MOIST-YELLOW-CAKE-109358

I use Toba's moist yellow cake recipe pretty much for all my cakes...BEST recipe EVER! btw.
I just tweak it to whatever flavor I need...and I ALWAYS add 1 tablespoon of Creme Bouquet....God, I love that thing...!!!

To make pink champagne cake:

*I substitute half of the liquid with Pink Champagne, I don't remember the brand but I got a big bottle from the liqueur store for about $5.00.
*I also added 1oz. of Loraan Champagne oil flavoring (the tiny bottle), I bought them at a farmers market, but you can get them on ebay or on their website.
The oils gives the cake not only a better flavor but a very distinctive champagne smell...
*A TINY bit of red food color to get the pink...just the tip of a toothpick.

To make Pink Champagne BC, I substitute ALL the liquid with Pink C. + some Loann oil +tiny bid of red food color.

l80bug79 Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 5:28pm
post #9 of 27

pink champaign sounds supper yummy. i'll have to try that one.

thanks for your help everyone.

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 5:34pm
post #10 of 27

I've never made pink champagne cake or heard of it until now...but it sounds delish. I did a quick search on Google and came up with these sites.

This one looks VERY simple and lists the icing to match.
http://www.recipezaar.com/153192

This one has the recipe for bavarian cream
http://www.recipezaar.com/143803

Found this one on Cooksrecipe.com
Pink Champagne Cake

2 3/4 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup vegetable shortening
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
3/4 cup champagne
6 large egg whites

Preheat oven to 350*F (175*C). Grease and flour 2 (9-inch) round cake pans; set aside.
Whisk together the flour with the baking powder and salt. Set aside.
In a large mixing bowl, cream shortening and 1 cup sugar until light and fluffy with an electric mixer. Beat in flour mixture and champagne alternately, beating until batter is smooth; set aside.
In another mixing bowl, beat egg whites until stiff. Gradually beat in remaining 1/2 cup sugar, continuing beating until meringue forms stiff peaks. Fold about half of the meringue into the cake batter, mixing gently but thoroughly. Gently fold in remaining meringue.
Pour batter into prepared cake pans and bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until tested done when a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool cakes in pan on wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove cakes from pans and cool completely on wire racks.
Spread Coconut Filling on to the bottom cake layer.
Top with remaining cake layer and frost sides and top with the Fondant Frosting.
Makes 10 to 12 servings.

http://www.recipes4cakes.com/cakemixcakes/pinkcham.htm

This recipe also has a recipe for a coconut marshmellow filling.
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Champagne-Cake-II/Detail.aspx

alvarezmom Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 5:36pm
post #11 of 27

I'm seeing this recipe allot with the coconut marshmellow filling and fondant. Here it is.

http://recipes.epicurean.com/recipe/4510/pink-champagne-cake.html

ShopGrl1128 Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 5:44pm
post #12 of 27

An orange filling goes well with a Pink Champagne cake too...just like a Mimosa! icon_biggrin.gif

alvarezmom Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 5:48pm
post #13 of 27

Orange BC or another type of orange filling?

dellboi2u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dellboi2u Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 5:49pm
post #14 of 27

The most popular ones for me have been Chocolate and French Vanella.... but after my last cake testing open house, it opened some brides up to some new flavors!!! I introduced a Root Beer Float cake (sounds wierd but is so yummy!) I made up... and a cake that has strawberry fruit filling in one layer, and then I tort the top and bottom layers and do whipping cream in them (so in one 4" thick layer there are 3 fillings) Brides LOVE these flavors!!! The ones that go with fun cakes like a whimsical one usually go crazy over the rootbeer float one!!

tye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tye Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 5:50pm
post #15 of 27

what other filling would go with pink champagne?? i love this idea but not a lot of people like coconut

ShopGrl1128 Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 5:51pm
post #16 of 27

Orange curd, or orange BC (flavored with Loann's Oil) or a mix of both.
I'm pretty sure I've seen already made orange curd at the supermarket, in the Peanut butter/ jelly isle.

alvarezmom Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 6:28pm
post #17 of 27

dellboi2u-your marshmellow guy is fantastic. How did you do him?

cryssi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cryssi Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 6:12am
post #18 of 27

I'd imagine that strawberry filling would be nice with a champagne cake...

bejewelled Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bejewelled Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 6:48am
post #19 of 27

Wow pink champagne sounds SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO good

Denise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Denise Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 7:25am
post #20 of 27

The two most popular flavors that I make are French Vanilla and Butter Pecan. Half of my weddings are all Butter Pecan!

Swede-cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Swede-cakes Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 12:07am
post #21 of 27

Oh, my! What does the pink champagne cake taste like? In other words, does it have that little twang on the tastebuds that real champagne has or is it sweeter? Reason I ask is b/c my friend made white champagne jello with raspberries in it for dessert at her dinner party, and I really didn't care for the champagne taste of that.

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 11:49am
post #22 of 27

Almond with strawberry filling is my most popular. And my double chocolate chocolate chip cake with vanilla mousse comes in second.

Speaking of cakes, I make a mean sweet potato cake and had a request to have it with caramel filling. Does anyone have a recipe for this? It sounds wild.

I also make a fuzzy navel cake: Its orange cake with peach schnaps mousse.

I will have to try the champagne trick! Does it have to be pink champagne? We hate champagne and I have a few bottles of it sitting in our garage people have brought to parties and it never go opened..

l80bug79 Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 1:37pm
post #23 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriemoms

Almond with strawberry filling is my most popular. And my double chocolate chocolate chip cake with vanilla mousse comes in second.

Speaking of cakes, I make a mean sweet potato cake and had a request to have it with caramel filling. Does anyone have a recipe for this? It sounds wild.

I also make a fuzzy navel cake: Its orange cake with peach schnaps mousse.

I will have to try the champagne trick! Does it have to be pink champagne? We hate champagne and I have a few bottles of it sitting in our garage people have brought to parties and it never go opened..

Those sound just yummy. can i find some of thoes recipes here? I would love to try them out.

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 2:16pm
post #24 of 27

I've always wanted to try the pink chanpagne cake but didn't want to buy that big bottle of champagne!! I guess I could drink the left overs!!!

apclassicwed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apclassicwed Posted 13 Oct 2008 , 11:48pm
post #25 of 27

Loriesmom---

Would you mind sharing your Sweet Potato cake recipe? I think it will be fantastic at the family Thanksgiving dinner with the Caramel icing below:

Wasn't sure if you wanted a Caramel icing, which is one of my most requested flavors: 1/2 c butter, 1c dark brown sugar--firmly packed; 1/4 c milk; 2c powdered sugar--well sifted
Melt butter over low heat, add brown sugar and milk, bring to a boil--remove from heat and allow to cool; Add powdered sugar and mix until well blended.

My most requested Wedding cake flavors are, Yellow or white, chocolate, Red velvet, Lemon.

I think I will try the Pink Champagne cake for my birthday or Christmas holidays

CakeAceOne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeAceOne Posted 14 Jul 2013 , 1:47am
post #26 of 27

A:smile:when making a pink champaign cake for the bakery, I use a white sour cream cake with a pink champaign custard filling with whipcream icing. Back in the day( years ago) when I made a pink champaign wedding cake, in place of the liquid, I replaced it with pink champaign . And filled it with champaign custard. It received big raves. :-)

bittersweety Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bittersweety Posted 18 Jul 2013 , 4:34pm
post #27 of 27

dark chocolate

black and tan (my dark chocolate cake with chocolate buttercream and toffee crumble mixed in the buttercream)

white chocolate raspberry

red velvet

Cinnamon Amaretto

French Vanilla

these are my top 6 most requested

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%