Clay Gun Question Re: Size

Decorating By SugaredUp Updated 10 Oct 2008 , 11:46pm by tracycakes

SugaredUp Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 2:26pm
post #1 of 13

I did a search but didn't find my answer.

I am wondering if size matters! I want to make long rope stripes. About 6-8 inches long. Can you make one long strand w/ a small gun? Or do you need a bigger gun?

12 replies
jessfmaldonado Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 2:36pm
post #2 of 13

You Definitely need a bigger gun!
Here are a few:

this one Jennifer Dontz recommends:

jessfmaldonado Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 2:39pm
post #3 of 13

Sorry hit enter by mistake.

The first one on that page Jennifer Recommends! She uses it in her video to make really long ropes!

Jessica icon_smile.gif

SugaredUp Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 2:41pm
post #4 of 13

SugaredUp Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 2:50pm
post #5 of 13

I PM'd you, but I don't know if my attachment worked! Also, can you use the clay gun to make fondant ribbons? It looks like one of those disks might work.

jessfmaldonado Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 3:28pm
post #6 of 13

Hey Amber,

Yes I do think you can do that cake with the gun! It will really come in handy, that is alot of ropes!

It does have an attachment for the ribbon, I dont know if it might be too thick though. You can always give it a try!

Jessica icon_smile.gif

tracycakes Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 12:31pm
post #7 of 13

At OSSAS, James Rosselle used the Makins green metal extruder and it worked really well. I had bought the cheap Makins extruder just to try it and had already tried to buy the metal one but Michaels was out when I tried. It was good to seem him use it and how easy it worked to create a long skinny rope that he put around the base of the cake.

I did make a ribbon with the flat attachment using even the cheap extruder. However, it doesn't hold enough fondant to make a long rope. I'm headed to Michael's today with my coupon to get the metal one. The cool thing is that it comes with all of the different disks that you can use also.

xstitcher Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 1:27am
post #8 of 13

I tried my Michaels for the "professional" Makins but they said they are no longer carrying them. I hope you were able to get yours! icon_smile.gif

SugaredUp Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 2:32pm
post #9 of 13

I'm going to use my 50% off coupon at Michaels if I can find the large copper one there. So, I guess it would work for doing base ribbons, too then. Cool!

jessfmaldonado Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 2:35pm
post #10 of 13

I purchased a Makins Extruder from this website for a great price!

Jessica icon_smile.gif

SugaredUp Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 2:53pm
post #11 of 13

It doesn't say how long that extruder is. The copper one is 14". Do you happen to know how long the Mackens one is?

jessfmaldonado Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 4:10pm
post #12 of 13

The Makins one is smaller, its a great alternative to the regular black and red sugar gun you usually see! Definitely the copper one for big jobs. You could use the small dics from the makins one with the copper with an adapter I believe.

Jessica icon_smile.gif

tracycakes Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 11:46pm
post #13 of 13

The didn't have it. I tried to buy one as OSSAS but the lady in front of me bought the last one they had. I can't find the one he had online either, so I guess you're right, they don't make it. I wanted something bigger than the small barrel. Oh well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%