Big Loopy Bow Secret

Decorating By pkinkema Updated 8 Oct 2008 , 9:53pm by BlakesCakes

pkinkema Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 1:52pm
post #1 of 6

Is there a secret to the big loopy bow??

The bow certainly didn't sound hard. I read every tutorial I could find. Even tried the "bowl" method. Thought I had it down--but found attaching the loops to be extremely difficult, the loops aren't secure (stuck them in gumpaste), and the shape of my bow is too flat.

How in tarnation do you guys make the gorgeous bows?

Do you graduate the size of the loops? About how many loops? Do you miter the ends of the loops so they will fit snuggly together? What do you secure them with?

First experiment was a huge disappointment. But these bows are so fabulous on cakes that I just gotta learn what I did wrong.

I will be most grateful for any pointers...

5 replies
leah_s Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 2:38pm
post #2 of 6

I make the bow loops with a pointed end and on a wire. Then dry them over a fat dowel for shape. When placing the bow loops to creted the bow, I stick in four loops, N/S/E/W to determine the outer limits, then start sticking bow loops into the interior. It comes out "fluffy." IMO, making the loops on a wire is much preferable, as I can adjust individual loops as I build it on the cake.

pkinkema Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 3:31pm
post #3 of 6

OK, I don't wanna be too anal about this....but since I thought it was going to be so easy the first time I want to be sure I have all the "i"s dotted and all the "t"s crossed the next time I attempt this!

The last (and only) time I put fondant flowers on a wire, the wire kinda sliced thru the fondant. What kind of wire do you use? Bent, looped?

Do you attach the wire to your loops with something special?

Do you make your loops of gumpaste, fondant, fondant w/gumtex or what?

Thanks for helping me out on this! Next time I wanna get it right!

kakeladi Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 4:48pm
post #4 of 6

Since I prefere most everything on my cakes to be edible I don't use wire.
Instead of using a ball of fondant to put the loops into I use melted choco (white candy melts usually).
Work right on the cake or on a small circle of gp.
Put your layer of loops down around circle; add melted choco; add another layer of loops; let dry maybe 10-15 min; continue until you are satisified w/overall look.

leah_s Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 5:36pm
post #5 of 6

I use covered floral wire. Not sure of the size, but I keep many sizes on hand. I attach the wires with the barest bit of water and lightly squeeze it betweenthe pointed ends of the loop. The end of the wire is alwyas in a hook shape. Usually I use gumpaste (Sometimes I even add extra CMC to gumpaste. I work fast. lol) Sometimes I might use 50/50. All the above is for when I need a specific color.

I also keep some plain white purchased loops on hand for when I forget to make them. They take dusts easily for a pearlized look. But now that I finally learned to use my airbrush . . .

BlakesCakes Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 9:53pm
post #6 of 6

I, too, prefer decorations to be as completely edible as possible, so I don't use wires, either.

I add a little gum tex or tylose to my fondant, or use 50% fondant/50% gum paste, when I make bow loops--that way I can roll them fairly thin but have them be sturdy. I do mitre the bottoms to a "v", but I make them the same size.

I cut strips the same width & length, make the loop, pinch the bottom a bit to seal it, and dry it on its side on a sheet of parchment.

To construct the bow, I often use royal or buttercream tinted to the color of the loops. I make a small mound of the icing and insert the bottom row of loops into it. I add a bit more icing in the center and decrease the number of loops in the second row (usually by 2), building until I'm happy with the size. Using the icings as the glue allows you to tweak the finished bow for awhile until you're happy with the result.

Although I like fondant bows, I really prefer making chocolate loops on strips of acetate and making the bows that way. I still use buttercream or royal for the "glue".

HTH
Rae
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%